Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
Believe it or not I used Krylon plastic paint and the grill came out great!! I didn't prep anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great! However, I need to prep for the same paint that the car is going to be painted in. Dbc2000 intense blue Pearlcoat.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I just did mine and prepped like I did the rest of the car, came out fine, I even had a nice original bowtie emblem that had some scratches on the plastic insert, :yes:and ended up scotchbriting it and cleared it along with the grill, came out great!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Depending on how you feel about it, there are a couple much better routes to go then using krylon, especially if you are spraying PPG. There is the old fashioned way of sanding with 320, spraying a primer down like you would use on metal, i use shopline (ppgs bargain brand) jp 202 primer. Or if you are lazy like i am, there is a great product that self etches plastic, i have used it hundreds of times on bumper covers and other plastic parts. Its called Bumper and Cladding Coat adhesion primer. It is a premixed product that is manufactured by Urethane Supply Company and it is literally spray and you're done. No sanding before, just wipe it down with a quality wax and grease remover. I use it in my body shop on a daily basis, and have never had it lift or fail to adhere. Its the only way i would go if i were you.

Reactions: airjohn69

·
Premium Member
6,411 Posts
i cheated and used plasti-dip. came out great and if i feel like changing it i can peel it off.

cost is about 7 a can. buy 2 cans just to be sure. 3-4 thin coats separated by 5-10 minutes and it'll come out matte and be durable.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I used SEM's plastic adhesion promoter and painted with their hotrod black and has held up to the elements well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to sand with 320 or so, clean, spray with a little plastic adhesion promoter, then ppg dp50, and basecoat/clearcoat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts