Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been asked before but I could not find an answer thru searching. What would an approximate price be to rebuild a muncie m-20 assuming it does not need the main shafts replaced. Also, how much would I save removing the trans myself and taking it to the shop. I have had the trans out a couple of time so i am used to removing it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I got a price from a local shop last year of $900.00. All but one of the gears in my M-20 was shot. To steep for me at the time so I ended up buying a saginaw 4 speed out of the paper just so I could get the car running.

------------------

Dean

Racer#00

67 Camaro (Almost done!)
76 Trans Am Stock Car
68 Dodge D-100 P/U

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Last time I bought a small parts kit for a Muncie the cost was about 75.00. That is all the needle bearings, gakets etc. I would think if you brought them the trans and it didn't need any expensive parts, 3-5 hundred at the most. They are not very hard to do.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
I just had mine rebuilt. It needed cluster gear (182.75) and input gear (129.50). The rebuild kit was 122.45 and he charged 245 labor. I brought him the trans and picked it up.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Sigh. When the input shaft broke on my M20, I pulled the tranny and took it to a recommended shop. The synchros and remaining gears were chipped pretty bad. I decided to go with Autogear parts and stay away from the other import gearsets. A complete rebuild is $1600 approx. Of course, at that point I threw in the Supercase for another $245 and had an M22 built. Anyway, pay attention to the replacement part quality.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I dont think there is much wrong with the trans. Second gear whines and I am starting to hear what sounds to be bearing noise but I have no idea. The noise only happens under load. When you let off the gas and still in second the noise goes away. I see Classic Industries sell rebuilt M-20's for about $1,200. I guess I will take it to the shop and see what they say. Thanks again. Erik

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I was doing my rebuild last winter I wanted to upgrade from my crapinaw (saginaw) 3sp to an m20. I called people all over the us but it turned out that Ebay was the answer. I found a guy that rebuilt them in his garage and I bought it from him (after checking it out when I went to pick it up) for $500. 1st and 2nd were new gears and all the sycros bearings and seals were replaced.
The tranny is running strong.
jeff

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Erik,
Consider doing it yourself. They are not hard to do if you have access to a press. The most difficult part is sliding the shafts together without any of the 120 roller bearings falling out, and there is a very easy solution to that as well. You'll need synchros for sure can't remember what I paid for the last set, I think around $15 a piece, sounds like maybe the forward input bearing $60, probably at leat on hub and the keys. The rest depends on the condition of the gears and what you are willing to live with (reverse gears are always tore up to different levels). If you want to tackle it I have some info I can send you. I also may have a 1967 M20 (larger counter shaft variety) for sale soon, fresh synchros, seals, hub, bead blasted case, ect. Think about doing it yourself, it's fun and not as difficult as you'd think.

Here are some prices I found on some reciepts I had for a few of the small parts.
Slider hub $46.00
Keys (dogs) $2.12 each 6 required
Brass synchro rings $10.95 each 4 required
Forward ball bearing $60.00
Dave

[This message has been edited by SY1 (edited 08-01-2002).]

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I believe the muncies in that era for chevy all had 10 spline input shafts, some Pontiacs had fine spline. As long as I was having a new tranny built and buying a new flywheel/clutch setup, I had the fine spline shaft installed and bought the appropriate disc.

------------------
Rick Dorion

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
I keep seeing y'all recommend guys like us rebuild our own Muncie. I have done a 3 speed in my day and you're right it's not that difficult a job but my fear is that when I'm in there I won't recognize something that needs to be replaced or fixed. That's where the experience comes into play.
I had mine reubilt only because it wined and I figured I'd do it while I was swapping engines anyway. The pro showed me a bad cluster and input shaft that were causing it and I couldn't see what was wrong with them but he was right. It's smooth and quiet as can be now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Build it your self and save the cash., they are simpler than building an engine and you only need the assitance of a press, a vice, a thin wrench for the front retaining nut and some snap ring pliers.

Here is a great muncie link. Has all the info to ID your trany, they have a rebuild video and all the parts you need.
http://www.gearzone.net/muncie.htm

I rebuilt my m-20 with a super case, new gears and an iron mid plate. The cost of all the parts was about $900 but if you use all your hard parts it will be HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS less

·
Registered
482 Posts
I rebuilt my muncie myself with the help of the gearzone video. Well worth the bucks. Like mentioned before, its not that hard at all. Just be patient and methodical about it.

...Or you can pay someone big bucks to do it for you.

Dave

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I am going to have to say it depends on the condition of the components. If you have worn out clutch teeth on the gears you may be better with a known better quality rebuild. I have rebuilt a couple of Muncies years ago and the parts were pretty outrageous at the time. The situation has improved lately so maybe I am old school on the costs but replacing the blocker rings and needle bearings is only an overhaul. Rebuilt can include much more than just a kit. The reverse gears are usualy half gone by now. Some of these old trannys have seen more than thier fair share of powershifts and abuse and are not worth rebuilding as the cost to replace all the worn gears and sliders can be considerable ignoring labor.

If it was not hopping out of gear when you back off and get back on the throttle and the clutch teeth look pretty good when you pull the side cover I would consider trying to do the rebuild yourself but if there are a lot of funky worn down teeth or other issues, I say sell the core and buy a better one. I did and the numbers came out pretty darn good.

I recently bought a very low mileage "over the counter" GM replacement Muncie from Tom Mobley (the T/C moderator here) and have been very pleased with it. Looked like new on the inside and shifts like a brand new tranny, not like the rebuilt ones I have had before. Anyone here could have bought it for $750 as it sat there in the "for sale" section for over a month with no takers. figure in the value of the core and it looks like a real bargain to me. Thanks again Tom!

-Mark.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
What's the value of a solid muncie case? I had the Autogear Supercase included in my rebuild so I don't need the original.

------------------
Rick Dorion

1 - 18 of 18 Posts