Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to pick up my 68 body and subframe from Kwick Strip in Allentown Pa next week. The shell will come back completely bare metal, and I am looking for some advice on priming it. I still have some welding to do, as well as some filler work Im sure, but I want to atleast get it primed to prevent flash rusting while it sits on the rotisserie in my garage. Any input on what type of primer, how to prep it, etc. would be greatly appreciated. To make matters worse, I have no clue what type of paint I intend on using yet. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
601 Posts
my body guy used a product called dinx think what it is called it is 200 bux a gallon plus hardener and it goes on a little thick and sandable.it is made from germany. than he lays another coat on and block sands it and another coat and sands it than paint goes on. he says after years using cheaper primer it gets the cracks and peals in the paint. i have seen jobs he done 10 years ago and looks like he did it yesterday. he said it all begins with the primer when doing a car. for painting he puts on 7 light coats and wet sanding with 1200 grit to get all smooth for even coat. than 4 coats of clear.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I shoot PPG here give it a coat of 1791 wash primer followed by a coat of DP 90 then you can apply filler over that . Just make sure you use a good resperator . That stuff is bad for your health.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
After all the welding is done and the metal is blasted and sanded clean, wiped with Pre Clean Solution like Dupont Clean & Wipe or RM Pre-Cleano, Lacquer Thinner will do. It's not necessary to Acid Wash or shoot a Vinyl Coat (Zinc Chromate Base) but you could. I recommend using and Epoxy Undercoat made by RM or Temclad. I use RM. Once cured for a week start your Bondo using a Pro Light Weight. After bondo shoot the spots with Epoxy Undercoat and let cure for a few days then shoot the entire car again. Wet sand using wooden blocks starting with 250 and end with 400 or 600. Your ready for Paint. No sealer required and you have a super hard surface. Lots of work but worth it if you plan on keeping the car. Dupont Imron is my choice for Paint. Lots of isocyanate's. Old School but Hi Tech compared to the old Lacquer and much better then the modern green water based method.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts