Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contemplating purchasing a cowl induction kit to go along with the cowl hood that I already have on my '67. The engine always looked a bit off center. But when I started to see how the air cleaner lines up with hood, something is just not right. From passenger side fender to carb stud I have 24-1/2", from DS fender to stud, I have 26". Also when you place a straight edge on the air cleaner, there is about 1" below on passenger side fender, and about 1" above on the driver side. The mounts were both replaced with 2285 mounts. The engine frame brackets look right to the pictures shown in C.I. catalog (3955183 & 3955184), with the taller mount on the right. Is this nomal for this car? What could be the problem?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Unless someone in the past history of the car messed things up and just a guess, you may have BB Mounts in there. If so the car may originally have been a BB ride. I would also check if the Transmission mount isn't "off centered".

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Unless someone in the past history of the car messed things up and just a guess, you may have BB Mounts in there. If so the car may originally have been a BB ride. I would also check if the Transmission mount isn't "off centered".
yeah, it may have originally had one of those pesky 427s in it. What are they called? COPOs or something like that?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
You are describing exactly how a Big Block engine should sit in the car. However, the part numbers that you are giving are for frame brackets for a 67-68 small block car ! The part number 2285 is for '67/'68 302/350 engine mounts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the pictures, I have small block mounts. The big block holes are drilled in a different location to move the mounts forward. Does anyone have any measurements for these mounts? I am wondering if 1 or both are from a different year/model car? There isn't by chance any spacers bolted under the mounts, that may be missing?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by holes in a different location. On a first gen. camaro, they use the same mounting holes. The driver's side mount is taller than the passenger side, to obtain the engine offset. It is Exactly as you described in your first post. No, there are no spacers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TJS69,

In the pictures you posted, take notice of where the mounting hole is located in reference to the center of where the rubber mount attaches.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
What rubber mount ?

These are Frame Mounts... they bolt to your crossmember... metal to metal.

If You are talking where the engine mount center line is compared to the 3 mounting holes. The pictures are not taken directly perpindicular, so you can't go by the visual.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
You are describing exactly how a Big Block engine should sit in the car. However, the part numbers that you are giving are for frame brackets for a 67-68 small block car ! The part number 2285 is for '67/'68 302/350 engine mounts.
I'm thinking that 2285 mounts were the short ones that are used on Corvettes. Also I recall 2285 having a wider mouth that goes over the metal stands. 2267 is short and wide (not as wide as 2285 though) and 2289 is tall and skinny.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TJS, can you give me the measurements from the center of the bolt to the crossmember on each side?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I'm thinking that 2285 mounts were the short ones that are used on Corvettes. Also I recall 2285 having a wider mouth that goes over the metal stands. 2267 is short and wide (not as wide as 2285 though) and 2289 is tall and skinny.
John,

The 2285's are for the 67/68's 302/350 engine mount. (8" Harmonic balancer)
The 2267's are the short and wide engine mounts for 67-69 307 and 327.
The 2283's are the tall and narrow engine mounts for a '69 302/350/396.

I have no idea what a 2289 is.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
TJS, can you give me the measurements from the center of the bolt to the crossmember on each side?

Thanks, Jim
I am not sure what this dimension is. I can't get to it on my car. :)

They are all the same for a 67-69 Camaro. The frame stands actually hang over the main crossmember some.

The location of the center of the engine mount only varies about 1/8" among all the frame stands.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look at the side profile of the mount. Draw a line across from each side of the base. Measure from the center of the hole to a 90 degree angle to the line. Is your engine out as indicated by your picture?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After re-examinling the mounts I have on, I remember that I first tried the the 2285 mounts. But found that it interfired with the mounting bracket for the short pump, power steering. As the bracket attaches to 2 of the motor mount bolts. I then had to go with the 2142 mount as it didn't have the secondary latch. However as both mounts are the same, the levelness of the engine should not change. So the problem remains the same.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Jim,

You really need to look at your frame mounts (brackets). It really sounds like you have Big Block frame mounts (brackets). The engine mounts themselves are not the issue. The Big Block engine gets its offset by having a taller frame mount (bracket) on the drivers side. The engine "rolls" to the passenger side approximately 1", measured at the carburetor's air cleaner stud. This allows more clearance for headers etc. at the steering box.

To keep the engine parallel with the pinion shaft of the rear end, the transmission mount is moved 1/2" to the passenger side and forward 3/4", because of the larger size of a Big Block engine. The movement of the transmission tail is accomplished by using a different transmission crossmember.

A Big Block engine and a small block engine have the same location for engine mounts. It is the Frame brackets that "move" the engine.

A Big Block will fit on small block frame mounts and a small block will fit on Big Block frame mounts !

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
TJS, I have the GM HEI distributor in the 350. The boots at the rear of the distributor are against the firewall, and the firewall has been purswaded back slightly to help clear. If the BB stands are in my car, would there not be more clearence at the distibutor? Would there not be issues at the Z-bar for the clutch linkage if it had BB mounts?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I don't think, that it would make a difference on the distributor, a lot of this depends on the height of the transmission tailshaft mount. If it was a Big Block z-bar it would be fine IF the transmission crossmember was for a big block. If you have a small block crossmember the engine would be twisted at an angle and the small block z-bar would still work, even with things not square.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had just install a TKO 600 with a new crossmember, the supplier had not asked if SB or BB. I had indicated to him that it was a SB. Crossmember fit perfect.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
You more than likely have a small block crossmember then. That means your engine is at an angle and not square. Many manufactures do not know that Big Block engines are different. I would recommend that you install new frame brackets, so that everything is right. (So, the transmissions output shaft is parallel with the pinion shaft in the rear end. If you run it as is, you may get a vibration etc.

These type of problems, usually become apparent when you are trying to fit headers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts