Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all drums and I just put on a new reman master with an 11" chrome booster to make the drums more useable. I used fuel line hose and connected the booster to a vacuum on the carb with a couple 90 elbows to make it clean looking. I went out yesterday and bled each corner. Started the car and no brakes at all. Took the cover off the master cylinder and when the brake pedal releases bubbles come out of the rear section of the master. Did I do something wrong or does this just mean there is still air in the lines somewhere? Also if there was air somewhere would the brakes not work at all?

·
19,736 Posts
Still air in lines.

Always bench bleed a master cylinder before install.
Bleed entire system (or reverse pressure bleed with the proper tool)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the master out today and bench bled it until no bubbles were there. Im going to call auto zone and see if they have a bleeding vacuum tool. And then Ill rebleed the brake lines.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
I wouldn't bother

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Best invention ever inveted!!!

I changed my masted and brake configuration 4 times ( don't ask why ) and every time my brakes were completly bled. Call him up and he will get you the correct sizes.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Can go past the old
open bleeder, pedal down, hold, close bleeder, pedal up, open bleeder, pedal down hold, close bleeder and so on
Start at the wheel fatherest from the MC

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rebled the master, and the lines today. Tried the brakes in neutral with the car off and it would not stop the car from me pushing it. Im at a loss here what else could be wrong that the brakes wont work at all?

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
You said this was a new booster--did the car have a booster before?

If not, did you get an extension for the (or a new) pushrod (into the booster)?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car did not have a booster. This new booster came with a pushrod attached to it that I attached to the lower hole in my brake pedal arm.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
sounds liek you are getting pressure to bleed the system, so it is odd that it is not applying pressure to the brakes themselves...

I assume that your foot is just going all the way to the floor, and not stopping the car?
Maybe try the upper hole in the brake pedal?
When was the last time you adjsuted the brakes themselves?
Are the brake cylinders leaking?

I'm just throwing out ideas here...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes Im getting pressure because I was able to bleed the brakes and watch some bubbles flow back and forth. The cylinders do not appear to be leaking anywhere. Yes the pedal has resistance to it and goes all the way to the floor like it should. I have not adjusted the brakes. Last time I drove it the brakes worked but the pedal was like pushing a brick wall because they were manual no booster. What would using the upper hole change?

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
might lengthen the stroke of the pushrod just enough to give you a little "extra length into the booster/master cylinder...If you are testing the brakes with the car off, they are not getting any vacuum assist, which is why you may need just a little bit more stroke/length to apply the "manual" pressure needed to stop the car...

I'm just hypothesizing here, but my suspicion is that you do not have enough "stroke" on the pushrod...

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Also, if it was lie pushing a brick wall to stop withthe manuals (which I also have), maybe it is because the brakes do need to be adjusted at all four corners...needed to push the pedal harder to the floor to stop that your "normally" should have to?

brakes on a 1967 4 wheel drim were not "self-adjusting" as later models were/are...

·
Registered
6 Posts
In regards to the rod that links the booster to the master cylinder just check you have the right legnth as there can be a short and a long version. I am currently fitting a disc upgrade kit to my 69 and the kit came with a new power booster and master cylinder. The rod fitted to the booster was the short version but I had to pull that out and use a supplied longer version. If I hadn't noticed it would all have gone together fine but would probably have the just the symptoms described here ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts