Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a problem I've not experienced before, perhaps somebody can shed some light on the problem.
Facts: 1967 Camaro RS, small block 350, TH350 transmission. Correct engine mounts. Correct transmission crossmember.
Problem: Transmission is hitting the shifter inside the tunnel.

I have run out of ideas as to what could be the issue. Has anybody else encountered this problem?
Camaro Transmission Issue.jpg

·
14,512 Posts
What is that boot hanging down from the tunnel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the rubber boot around the shifter, this is a console shifter car. The transmission is pushed up against it and pressing on the shifter with no clearance. It should have at least 1/4" or more clearance.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Could be wrong, but it looks like your cross member has been used to jack the car up. It looks concaved in both sides to me. Could be my old eyes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Could be wrong, but it looks like your cross member has been used to jack the car up. It looks concaved in both sides to me. Could be my old eyes.
Sure looks that way to me too, Keith. Good catch if the photo is accurate. Wouldn't that also mess up driveline angles? Better that you're having this problem now than later, imo.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
It could mess with driveline angles, but don't know if it's enough to notice it. Maybe maybe not. Glad I'm not the only one seeing something off.👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The crossmember doesn't look like it's bent, but that would be the issue if so. Can anybody tell me the height offset from frame rail to transmission mounting point?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Simple fix OP

Look at 2nd pic, post 7
Shiftworks PG to TH350 swap? | Team Camaro Tech (camaros.net)

"some", mine & yours, console shift PG base will hit the TH350 so you need to cut off some of the base. Note where I marked the line

If you have not...I recommend doing the Shiftworks swap to convert your PG console shifter to a 3 speed one. I did the conversion kit but you can buy the completed unit if you want. Very nice kit. Shift detent is very solid "click" and the linkage is WAY better than stock

SW6.JPG
SW2.JPG
SW8.JPG
SW3.JPG

·
Super Moderator
32,797 Posts
Could a length of wood and a jack push up on floorboard just enough for clearance?
Linkage rod is backwards, adjustable end on trans lever.
One doesn't need a detent plate going from PG to THM350. I have gone this route and used the same OE shifter and detent plate.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
The background in the OP pic has enough busy in it to kinda mess with what you see. To me the crossmember looks normal but the tranny looks ever so slightly rotated like its pinched. I see a nice subframe which raises body bushing questions. Since Ev has done a PG to TH swap before without fuss, I'm going out on a limb here guessing it was in a 68, are the brackets different in a 67?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Could a length of wood and a jack push up on floorboard just enough for clearance?
Linkage rod is backwards, adjustable end on trans lever.
One doesn't need a detent plate going from PG to THM350. I have gone this route and used the same OE shifter and detent plate.
...To me I see in the pic, the PG shifter base is hitting the trans. Using anything to "push up" the floorboard will just FU stuff. All the OP needs to do is trim the shifter base per pics I posted. The rubber cover will then just collapse allowing the trans to clear

Just pull the shifter out from up top. Don't need to remove console. Just the top plate, 4 screws, lift shifter out and unplug the harness and put shifter in vice and use a cut off wheel...done.

Yeah you can use the PG shifter/detent with a 350 if you want. The trans will shift through the gears but you can not manually shift into 1st. IMHO I would finish the job and do the shifter detent mod kit.....and the shifter will look like and function like it belongs using the new shift indicator. Shifter feel will be more precise. I also bought the internal spring from Shiftworks inside the shift arm and cleaned/greased the internal rod

SW1.JPG

The PG vac Modulator hard line can be used but needs to be cut as the TH350 vac mod is on PS of trans. I preserved the end that is reduced in size that attaches to vac mod with a short piece of vacuum hose and just used a short piece of soft vac hose to bridge that to the hard line going to engine manifold

1 - 14 of 14 Posts