Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, two things.
1. i have a 68 convertible, it mightve originally been a 350, but now has an actual 1968 396/325hp. I have a C-396 Edelbrock intake, and a 1407 Edelbrock carb... and this little rinky-dink 2" tall air filter which K&N does not make a circular or oval 2" filter.

My problem is that there is no room between the stock SS hood and the air filter to put a bigger air filter on there. Since I want to keep the stock hood, are there any suggestions? Any ideas on a new intake manifold? Betsy wants to breathe better. Also the previous owner looked like he tried to close the hood on a bigger air filter due to the wingnut imprint on the underside of the hood..grr.

2. I have 2" Hooker headers, and they are so close to the steering column they are warping and are slightly "pushed" in now nearest the steering column. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not sure what you are running for an air cleaner but if it's not the original big block open element I think that is why you are having problems. That air cleaner is recessed to sit lower to work with the ss hood. I guess I might look into that first. As for the header issue you might want to see what you are running for engine motor mount stands. The big block style are offset to the passenger side a little and this might be some of your problem with the headers. Hopefully this helps you out and gets things in order for you.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
There are hundreds of posts here about the BB frame stands if you do a search. They are different than the SB stands and they move the engine towards the passenger side 3/4" or so. This will definitely help with the header clearance, but the engine will probably have to come out to replace them.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
94 Posts
If you switch to a holley carb you could run the factory style 14x3" open air unit. It has a drop down base. You could also switch to a low rise manifold. (I am assuming the c 396 is a hi rise.) If you are determined to run a hi rise and you don't need much clearence you could have a machine shop take about 1/4" off the carb mounting flange surface. The stud for the wingnut isn't longer than it needs to be is it? Can't help on the header issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for helping out so far. I have some time tomorrow to put the car on a lift and check everything out. I will do some more research on the BB vs SB mounts, thanks for pointing me in that direction, I had no idea. I will also look into a recessed air filter. The stud is as low and as short as it can get. I will get some clay and measure exactly the distance between the wingnut and the hood.

Also, yes, my C396 intake manifold is a high rise.

You guys have been so helpful and quick on responding. I really do appreciate it. I will let you know Saturday night what I did.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As mentioned....factory drop base 14 x 3 is the way to go. Should work fine with either QJ or Holley and won't hit the hood.

wilma

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i finally got that 14x3 drop base air filter! There was one snag though. The fuel line into the carb was just a rubber line which got in the way of the drop base so I had to get that edelbrock fuel kit that elbowed towards the intake manifold with a banjo fitting at the carb. It fits great! There is even more clearance now than with the normal 2" filter

·
Registered
159 Posts
The proper air cleaner is on this engine and the engine is equipped with Hooker Super Comps with 2 1/8 primarys plus PS :thumbsup:

oh hell this is months old....:beers:

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Buy a pair of the '67 6-banger and early 350 SS engine THIN, rip-a-part rubber mounts and drill a 3/8" hole through each one and 45 degree countersink the tight side and then bolt them together w/ Grade-8 hardware and go!

You should be able to gain like I figure at least 7/16" hood clearance vs full poly on NOS BB frame stands IF your 4 quart BB oil pan will still clear the S/F at the front sump area?

I did this when I installed my hopped up 409 "W" engine that had a 6 or 7 quart big truck pan on it and it fit like it was installed straight from the factory on ALL my 350SS stuff. Stick Z-bar included..............

pdq67

1 - 10 of 10 Posts