Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am having trouble putting a zz4 into a 69. I tried to install the engine but the HEI distributor would hit the firewall and the stock mechanical fuel pump would hit the frame. I noticed that the engine brackets that came with the car did not look to be original ( they don't look like the ones for sale on ss396.com in that they have a "lip" which extends downwards on the rear side of the frame ) however there was a 3/4 inch gap between the frame and this lip of the engine bracket. Assuming that the wrong brackets came with the car, i moved the brackets 3/4 of an inch forward ( to do this i welded shut the original holes in the bracket shut and re-drilled new holes so that the "lip" on the bracket now lay flush against the frame ). With this done I could now install the zz4 crate motor but this has caused other problems....

Behind the ZZ4 i have a Tremec TKO 600 which i am using to replace the auto that was there before. i am using the Keisler.com kit which is supposed to fit perfectly. But...its not perfect. I am going to have to make adjustments to the Zbar, and the shifter looks like it is going to be too far forward in the console. Another problem is that there is about 2.5 inches of exposed yoke which looks to be a little too much. Finally, and of lesser importance, the exhaust is not lining up. I can always weld in an extension on the exaust but it just seems like there should be an easier answer.

After all this, my question is, has anyone installed a zz4 into a 69 and can you please tell me if you were able to do so using the HEI distributor which came with the motor. Is there any way to tell what the correct position of the engine should be ? I will need to get the correct allignment with the tranny too.

Thanks very much. This is my first camaro and my first post so I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
768 Posts
a couple of summers ago i put my ZZZ motor (should be the same block as yours) in without any problems with the HEI or mechanical fuel pump. i used the repro Z28 frame mounts from Rick's and solid engine side mounts from Moroso since i couldn't get either the repro style rubber mounts or poly mounts to set down on the frame mounts correctly to get the motor mount bolts in. the solid mounts set down just fine and the motor sits far enough forward to give me a good 1/2" of clearance behind the HEI distributor. i also have no problem with clearance of the harmonic balancer and oversized swaybar. my clutch linkage and tranny cross member bolted right up.

with your motor 3/4" inch farther forward as you say you will probably have tranny mount issues and perhaps oil pan to frame issues as well as clutch linkage.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So do the ZZ4 motors cause problems when converting to a manual such as Tremec for linkage, etc.? I getting close to puuling the trigger on a new motor and Tremec and debating between the ZZ4 and Blueprint Engine 383. any ideas for compatibility, reliability, etc?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts