Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed a ned 750 edelbrock carb that comes with mech secondaries it works great until I hammer it and then it bogs down and then takes off. Is there any way to stop it from boggin out. It never did it before with the 600 vac secondaries. THe only time it bogs is if u hammer it other than that it runs strong and sounds great

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 71 gm heads 74cc 1.72in 1.50ex,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 12 bolt 3.55 eaton posi..

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I don't know Carter/Edelbrock carb all that well, but you r problem is not enough of a fuel shot (out of the squirter) to cover the hole created when you open the throttle blades abruptly. If I remember right there is a rod that you can adjust to give you more or less of a shot. I am sure many of the guys here can give you the details on how to tune your carb (if it was a Holley I could give you details).

Royce

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had the same prob with my Carter 600 right out of the box. Believe it or not, I dropped one jet size on the primary side and it took care of it. The carb may be a touch on the big side for your combo, also which would cause a similar hesitation.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
You should not be running a mechanical secondary carb with an automatic transmission unless your stall speed is very high (> 3000RPM). There has been quite a bit of discussion lately about 750 carbs on 350SBC motors. You'll get much better drivability and very good performance for the street out of a 600. 750CFM can be a bit tweeky, but is a reasonable choice. However with mechanical secondaries, the 750 is questionable. Those carbs are better suited for a high compression, race-fuel, big cam, balls-to-the-walls drag race motor with a manual transmission.

-dnult

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
There is no reason that carb should not work on his engine. Mechanical secondaries are fine on the street and they actually work better (performance wise) on light cars. Vavuum secondaries are more thrifty with fuel economy and work fine on heavy cars (sure they will work on light cars too). I am not trying to turn this into a which carb is better flame contest. Everyone has their opinions and reasons for liking one or the other. My point is you can (and I do) run a mechanical secondary carb on the street. There is more than one kind of secondary linkage, a 1 - 1 linkage would not be good on the street, but he does not have that set up. As long as you keep your foot out of it the secondaries don't open. To each his own, just thought I woul offer an opinion.

Royce

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i thought the Edelbrock was similar to a Q-jet, in that the actual throttle blades are mechanical, but the air door opens up only as much as is needed to allow enough airflow to get the job done, based on vacuum overcoming a spring or something. i know on a q-jet you can adjust how fast the air door opens- not sure about the Edelbrock, but i think there is something. if it is new, did it not come with an instruction book? my Edelbrock RPM 850 Q-jet came with a tuning book that was quite thorough and had all sorts of charts and stuff and explained the theory behind carburetor operation.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the afb style carb

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
It has a weighted air valve that controlls the sec opening. Normally they work fine. Check the float level and the sec jetting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts