Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really Camaro related but need help. Am trying to install Sirius radio in 98 Buick and was going to use the cigar lighter as a power source as the radio kit has an adaptor that plugs into the lighter receptacle. Only problem is when I do this , it blows the fuse every time. The same goes with the accessory outlet that is provided on the passenger side of the console. Any of you luxury Chevy guys handled this ploblem ? Thanks for any help.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,456 Posts
My friends was doing the same thing, turned out the adaptor plug was no good right out of the box.

·
Super Moderator
32,359 Posts
Usually, the power wire is to thew center conductor of the socket and return is the outside sleeve. Reverse these two wires, power onto the sleeve, return on the center pin.

Also, on most power plugs, there is a LED lite to tell if polarity of the socket is good.
No LED lite, reverse the wires of the socket, or get a polarity adapter from Radio Shack.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, thanks guys. The polarity thing got me to checking to see if there was continuity from the power tab to the case of the socket, and there was. Alls it took was an adjustment of the socket. Havn't had any more problems with it since last night. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts