Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Who has used the blue plastic thing that slides over your rocker shaft to check pusrod length. It's Proform #66789 Pushrod Length Checker. Don't exactly see how it works. Any pics, video, or help appreciated.

RJ

·
19,873 Posts
Use your stock push rod and the blue checker along with a feeler guage set to get your proper length. Just install like a regular rocker and stock pushrod (7.800") add feeler guages (shims) to get the proper length just add guage amount to 7.800 (or whatever you're using) and done.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Use your stock push rod and the blue checker along with a feeler guage set to get your proper length. Just install like a regular rocker and stock pushrod (7.800") add feeler guages (shims) to get the proper length just add guage amount to 7.800 (or whatever you're using) and done.
Doug, does this checker provide a guide to rocker arm roller patterns or geometery? You know the valve stem wear pattern? I have never used one.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put it on the rocker shaft last night, didn't think it fit very snugly at all. I bought actual adjustable pushrods for checking as well, not sure which I will rely on, or both. Gonna try to get started with it today. Don, I too am not sure how you go about determining the wear pattern on the valve stem. Keep me posted if you figure it out, please.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thought about it, and when you put the checker over the rocker shaft, are you supposed to put a nut on there too? Not sure if there was enough shaft for that.
rj

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I put it on the rocker shaft last night, didn't think it fit very snugly at all. I bought actual adjustable pushrods for checking as well, not sure which I will rely on, or both. Gonna try to get started with it today. Don, I too am not sure how you go about determining the wear pattern on the valve stem. Keep me posted if you figure it out, please.
Put a clean smooth layer or two of masking tape over the rocker stud. This will remove the 'play' of the blue plastic geometry tool and give you an accurate reading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts