Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couple pics of my hotchkis 1 1/2" drop leaf springs and my right stuff disc brake kit installed with any luck i will be movin up to the front of the car next weekend and i do have to ask the brake m/c says to use dot 3 but the instruction suggest dot 4 or 5 anybody here use dot 4 or 5 in the right stuff brake kit

thanks tom

·
Registered
975 Posts
looks real nice!!...great work, dot 3 is the old standard, use 4, flush the system. make sure its from a sealed container as brake fluid is hydroscopic.

Kelly

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
I think I had the same rotors and calipors you have.What master are you running is it power.I have non-power Wilwood and Wilwood says do not use Dot-5 I did and totaly regret it it is very hard to get the air out of the system.I used the 570 dot-3 from Wilwood just be carefull not to spill on the paint.

·
Registered
41 Posts
couple pics of my hotchkis 1 1/2" drop leaf springs and my right stuff disc brake kit installed with any luck i will be movin up to the front of the car next weekend and i do have to ask the brake m/c says to use dot 3 but the instruction suggest dot 4 or 5 anybody here use dot 4 or 5 in the right stuff brake kit

thanks tom

what product did you use to undercoat the camaro....flat black but looks like it might have a little tecture too?

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Looks good!!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Those are some nice beefy looking spring/shock mounting plates. Did those come with the Hotchkis springs or if not what/where and how much?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i spent a couple of weekends cleaning the bottom with alot of different types of hand tools mostly a wire wheel on a 4" grinder what a PITA, i really hoped it would come out better but that was it not clean enough for paint, so i used undercoat in a spraycan, i think it was made by gunk,the shock plates i bought from matts classic i think those are $40.00 each they come nonstaggard or staggard your choice, the m/c came with the right stuff 4 wheel disc brake kit i chose the manual kit, this car had 4 wheel manual drums so i stayed with manual, i would really like to use a silcone type brake fluid if anyone has any experience with this brake kit and has used silicone brake fluid with it please chime in

thanks tom

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Car looks great. I had drums on my 68 and the switch to discs was amazing. Make sure you have a good proportioning valve and residual pressure valve in the rear line.

I'd stay away from Dot 5 silicone brake fluid on the street. It will leave you with a very spongy feeling pedal and little if any braking confidence. Go with Castrol GT LMA Dot 3/4 fluid and you'll be a very happy camper. The brakes will be easy to bleed and rock hard when you stop. I bought 3 of the big quart bottles and used 1.5 quarts to flush my lines fully and ~1 to fill and bleed the system.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
you have a picture of the "rear" of your rear end? I want to see how you ran your lines from each disk to the center!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Just wanted to back everyone else up who said to avoid dot 5

Yes, its nice to not worry about paint if you spill, but the fluid does not offer a good brake feel because it absorbs air, and not water. Any water in the system will pool somewhere and may cause rust from the inside out.

Use dot 3/4

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info guys i will be usein dot 3/4 on these recommendations i but my 4 wheel brake kit thru matts classic bowties i do have a ? about the rear e-brake cables they seem to be way long i have a nonstaggard shock setup and the cables seem to be about 4 or 5 inches to long has anyone else had this problem i called right stuff tech support last nite and they told me i have the correct cables 37 1/2" long i really don't know what to do with the extra length any suggestions

here a pic from the rear the instructions suggest to mount bulkhead strap between the u-bolts i didn't like it there so moved it towards the middle still plenty of slack in the hoses

thanks tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
well i spent a couple of weekends cleaning the bottom with alot of different types of hand tools mostly a wire wheel on a 4" grinder what a PITA, i really hoped it would come out better but that was it not clean enough for paint, so i used undercoat in a spraycan, i think it was made by gunk,the shock plates i bought from matts classic i think those are $40.00 each they come nonstaggard or staggard your choice, the m/c came with the right stuff 4 wheel disc brake kit i chose the manual kit, this car had 4 wheel manual drums so i stayed with manual, i would really like to use a silcone type brake fluid if anyone has any experience with this brake kit and has used silicone brake fluid with it please chime in

thanks tom
Was it this stuff? http://www.ruralking.com/undercoat-titeseal-16-oz-spray.html

this is my project for this weekend...just wondering how you thought the product went on? well? and how many cans you went through? 16oz. I cant imagine went very far??? Proly need 20 cans?

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Look's great ,are thoes isolator rubber pads under the rear next to your lower shock plate's ???, if so take them out read in the sticky thread about them they will squarm around and you can't tighten down the u bolts causin your rear to move ,been there done that ,here's a picture.:)

·
Premium Member
19,477 Posts
It looks great but I noticed the front traction bar mounting studs. Did you have the bar and if so can you use it with the new springs?

Roger

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I'm not quite following you ,please clarify,I didn't use my ol slapper bars as I'm not Dragen on a reg basis ,just a pass or 2 maybe in the future...Happy motoring

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i took that radius bar off year ago and put ladder bars on i have removed every thing and am starting fresh

thanks tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts