Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
13,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys do it?

When I buy a project the 1st thing I do is get a 3 ring binder. I put tabs in it. Paperwork I got with the car, receipts, instructions, engine, electrical.

I put everything to do with the car in the binder. It's easy to refer to and as I build the car I'm also building an owners manual.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Same but receipts in one and paperwork in another - 2 files.

I also use Evernote to put budgets together by section with check boxes. Add a line or part number. Once it's ordered I check it off. I started doing this because I will search for hours for something, find it, and then try to go back weeks later and then I can't find it again.

·
13,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought an almost finished 69 from a guy in New Orleans. His process was he hung a garbage bag on a nail in his garage and everything went in the bag.

Took me days to sort it all out but at least it was all there. Lmao.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If she knew what I spent on this I'd be killed!:)
I keep the cars I build so if I lose a receipt I do not have a nervous breakdown. I deal locally when possible, great to know who you are dealing with and they throw out the red carpet when I come in and open my wallet.

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
I have a binder and an excel spread sheet. I keep a running list of every penny spent and then I sort it by category and keep a running grand total. Every time I add an expense it just sums to the grand total.

Then I keep all of the paper work. Hard copies of invoices also grouped in sections as well as all insurance, original docs, protecto-plate owners manuals etc.

I was pretty sure that most guys do it a very similar way.

Also I have the list of every part purchased in the spread sheet so I sort any way I want. There are a lot of parts. Lately I have not wanted to look at the total since I am so far over budget. I saved my original parts list and parts budget. Basically it is almost double so far!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've always used a large shoebox. Roughly the size of 8.5 x 11 so all the paperwork fits nicely in there without being folded up. On a full build the box is usually close to being full with bit of room to spare. Pretty generic, I know, but im a creature of habit. I did it once & now I always use the same thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts