Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured it was about time to post up my work in progress. This was my first car that I had bought when I was 15. Saw the tail end in a local farmer's barn flying by on my quad one day when the barn door was open........did a 180 and the rest is history :D
Not sure if it is an original SS or not but had the deluxe door panels, houndstooth interior, tic tock tack, factory 4 speed console with gauges, factory air and thick moldings at the quarter window and door. Came with a cowl induction hood so who knows. Also had a 350, saginaw 4 speed and 12 bolt rear. Only thing that could be matched as original was the rear. Being a kid, I ended up blowing the motor , trans and rear(not necessarily in that order lol). Threw in a 450HP built 350, Muncie M-22 and backed it up with a Moroso posi unit and 4:10 Richmond gears. Ran a 12.4 in the 1/4 mile so I was always happy about that. Long story short - ran it a few years and crashed it one night after getting roofied at a bar(that's the long story). Anyway, been sitting in my parents back yard for 8 years before I was able to get it to my house where she sat scarred for another 9 long years. Finally after 17 years, Here I am with ya'all in the midst of undertaking the long hard road of restoration from ground up.
I plan on posting alot of pics to keep you guys happy :thumbsup: The plan for the car at this point is to be a Pro-touring RS/SS conversion - Yeah I know - yet another one lol.
So far I have replaced:
Floor pan with a one piece Goodmark
Trunk pan with a one piece Goodmark
Bought both new doors - OER and rebuilt my original hinges
Put on both Quarters and outer wheelhouses- OER
Mini tubbed inner wheel houses
Installed a Martz 4-link crossmember and welded it in
Had to cut out the floor pan for the 4-link as I went with a fully adjustable version.
Also decided to cut out my rear frame rails and move them inboard to allow for wider tires.
Had to cut into the trunk to allow for the coil overs to mount to
Bolted on a Martz front sub-frame
Welded in the frame connectors - had to cut through the floor again
Installed a 4 point roll cage at this point - maybe will be 6 point - haven't decided.
Have a Moser 9" Detriot Locker Posi with 4:11 Ratio
Have my Tremec T-56 Magnum
Ordered my 572 Chevy BB

So that's about it - we are caught up to current..........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
....and finally

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! Today I will start tackling the tail panel. I have been scared of this day for quite a while - gonna be quite the task for this amateur to line up everything.......wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coming along great! Just saw the tubs you did for yours. Sweet! Is the roll bar a kit from someone, or did you build it yourself?
Thanks - roll cage came from SW Racecars. Had to buy different rear tubes that fit through the package tray rather than through it. Opted not to put the side door tubes in

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been a little while since I updated so here goes. Finally had a few nice days last weekend and was perfect for painting. Did 2 coats epoxy primer on the entire interior of the car as well as underneath then topcoated the interior floor and trunk and entire undercarriage with Raptor Liner. I would highly recommend Raptor Liner to anyone who is thinking of doing the same. The stuff is absolutely amazing and sooo easy to use. After that cured I decided to start putting the front tubular arms and Wilwood brake kit on the front end. Moved to the rear and got in my 9" and 4-link setup and Wilwood set up done :) I am really happy how it is all coming alone so far. Next up is the power rack and pinion steering assy and then looking to start on the front end.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Threw an extra one in there - starting off my grandson right as the next generation of team camaro :yes::D:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow...looking damn good. I wish I knew how to weld. :thumbsup:
(welding) It is very easy. You will need good equipment tho - that is 1/2 the battle - the other 1/2 is making sure your metal is ground clean at the area you will be welding as well as where you are hooking the ground wire. Try welding scrap pieces together in different scenerios and you will pick it up quick!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lookin gooood! A lot of very nice stuff going into this one...:yes:...:thumbsup:
Thanks Smitty! Been following along your build as well - love the stance! Looks like yer seeing some daylight there on your build:D

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally had a little more time to get some work done. Got my new power rack bolted in and hooked up. Dug out my original GM front fenders I had since I was a kid - bought back in '92 along with a GM header panel. Went with AMD inner wheel housings and lower valance panel. Needed a few minor adjustments on the lower valance to get it to fit properly but nothing major. Re used my original cowl panel - still in great shape and went with an AMD 2" cowl hood. I was surprised how nicely the front end went together. Hood gaps are pretty good on the sides but need a little work at the header panel - can't complain. Original fenders to OER doors are way off. Much more so on the drivers side. Motor should be here soon - maybe by the end of the month:D. Just spent 1/2 the day today going through and ordering everything I needed to start running my fuel and brake lines - much harder then I thought. Needed some help and Summit Racing came thru for me - those guys are great! :beers:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Keep at it Greg, the front clip looks to fit like a glove. Wish they still had GM fenders plentiful for sale and not a fortune available now a days. On your fuel stuff check out anplumbing.com they have everything and more. Plus you have a direct photo of the fitting/lines etc...your buying.
Again looking good sir!

1 - 20 of 243 Posts