Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm starting to make good progress. I've got my original passenger quarter and tail panel out (lots of spot welds drilled) and now I am starting to fit the new panels.

What's the trick for getting the new quarter seam area in and under the roof and drip rail? Is anyone trimming the drip rail part of the new quarter to get it in?

Picture of the progress :D

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Need to see pics of how you have the original seams trimmed.
Did you get the spot welds at the top of the 1/4 @ roof seam, inside car (some are just inner structure to inner structure and don't need to be drilled out)

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Tucking the sail lip of the full quarter under the roof seam and in the drip rail gutter channel took me a bit of work and alot of cursing. Did you get all the sail pannel removed from under the roof seam like Geno mentioned ? There were a few spot welds up in there that were a real PITA for me to get out. If you still have metal uder there it maye causing you problems. I had the quarter panel on and off at leat 5 times before I was ready to weld. Each time was easier. Make sure you have someone helping. I ended up changing my roof skin after all that and would have made life easier if I had it off to begin with, but I didnt know at the time that it was all swiss cheese in the window channel area. Before you weld, fit your rear windshield in to make sure it fits and check your windshield molding for the correct contour. Ask me how I know..... I had NOS quarters so I didnt have to cut anything. I dont know about the repro ones. Good luck !

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys. My problem is that when I try to tuck the new qtr seam under the roof seam, the drip rail "flange" on the qtr itself keeps me from getting it in there. :sad:

I was thinking I could just trim the flange down on the qtr?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I trimmed the flange just a little bit and the helped me get the panel underneath. Now the next problem is near the window/roof area.

Is this part supposed to tuck under or do you butt weld this?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just some progress. I got the qtr seam to tuck under the roof panel, thanks everyone for their help.

Fitting these panels, especially multiple new panels is definitely a challenge, but I'm getting there. It goes to show that a first time restorer can do it though. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts