Discussion Starter #5
Ha ha... you nailed it.
"The best way to get over one is to get under another." ~Home Wrecker Camaro
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plan is to get her running with a simple 350 and on the road.
Past that thinking LS rusty/dented patina classic until I can tear into the body.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMG_1414.jpg
Who says the home wrecker doesn't have a heart?

Engine Stage 1:
Picked up a 5.3L LS motor and 4L60e transmission with a spare 5.3L that includes a good set of 799 heads. Going to swap the good the heads with ARP studs and install a better cam. I'll clean everything up and get the car running with the 4L60e trans and stock harness.

Engine Plan Stage 2:
Next will come a single turbo setup, 4L80e trans, and probably holley dominator EFI to control it. Something like this...
http://image.superchevy.com/f/119700827+w640+h640+q80+re0+cr1+st0/turbocharged-1969-camaro-ls-engine.jpg

Anyone have a good thread or build link to start for Phase 1 of this plan for an LS transplant with details about going through the 2000 stock truck harness?

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Does anyone know if this old hurst shifter in the car can be modified for the 4l80e four speed?
Sadly I think I might be out of luck. I'm even fine with buying a new style and putting this old handle back on a new one... Thoughts?
IMG_1654.jpg

Here's a few quick update photos... no more holes in the body and an 80% drivers side quarter! She will be home tonight.
IMG_1646.jpg IMG_1650.jpg
Yes... that is a danger explosives sign covering the hole in the pass floor... ha ha. "You only go original once." Isn't that what you guys always say? Oh wait... I think it was "They are only original once." :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LS motor is built up with ARP bolts, LS6 heads, LS6 cam, and gapped rings ahead of a 4L80e with a stage 2 shift kit... this should work quite well with a big turbo! Pretty ratty job on the details but it suits the build. The wrecker interior is stripped out and I found a bunch of used door panels etc that are better than before. Hopefully this motor fits under the stock flat hood if I remove the intake cover... otherwise she is going to have a vortec shaker. Next comes the front floor pans and a rebuild of the subframe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's time to clean up the firewall. Could someone look over the holes I plan to fill and let me know if I'm filling any more than I should? I plan to properly convert to a regular heater box down the road but until then the AC holes need to be filled. Planning to keep the fan blower hole (with a cover), gas pedal mount and throttle cable, wiper, brake master cylinder, grounds, and fender holes. IMG_6137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
It's time to clean up the firewall. Could someone look over the holes I plan to fill and let me know if I'm filling any more than I should? I plan to properly convert to a regular heater box down the road but until then the AC holes need to be filled. Planning to keep the fan blower hole (with a cover), gas pedal mount and throttle cable, wiper, brake master cylinder, grounds, and fender holes. View attachment 169778

You're best bet is going to be to look at the AIM and compare what options you're going to have to what holes you need to keep. Here's the piercings page:

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks 69X66 but I've changed directions and I'm going with a heater delete for now.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So it looks like my front subframe has some damage that concerns me... and I don't want to start repairing the frame. So...
Just picked up a 38k mile 71 Nova front clip with manual steering that is totally mint for $200. Doesn't get much better than that!

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mounted the 69 to a body cart and started fixing the passenger tulip panel and some patch panels for the floors. Flying Camaro!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Talk about tools of the trade - you aren't messing around lol - a bit jealous...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts