Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed an aftermarket balancer on a 350. It was the hardest to go on that I have ever run across. Finally got it on with an installer. This is the first time, I'm not sure if it is on all the way or not. Is there any measurements that you can go by to tell if it is fully seated? I don't want to install the engine in the car only to find the pulleys don't line up properly. If you measure from the tip of the crankshaft snout to the outer edge of the balancer, would this measurement be common for all small blocks? Someone told me this measurement is 1 inch. Does that sound right? Any thoughts on the matter is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Sorry I can't provide a measurement but on the subject of aftermarket units, they are often sized tight and require honing to the correct spec. My ATI is like that. Then when installing it's a good idea to apply some antiseize to prevent any metal galling. Other than installing until it bottoms out on the gear, perhaps others will have measurements. I'm at that phase too!!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Mock up the pulleys and check for alignment of the grooves. That is all there is to worry about. I use a balancer installer and I can feel through the wrench when it bottoms out but that is using a used factory balancer.

-Mark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts