Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at cleaning up my engine compartment, buy don't want to run hot... Are there any issues with the stock vs. elec. or ? Thanks

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
If you do the job correctly there are no cons in my opinion. I have run nothing but electric fans for years with no issues.

Doing it right means, a relay, some sort of thermostat control, a bypass switch (just in case but, this must also run through the relay).

Selecting the right size fan and mounting it as a puller not a pusher is also very important. If you have the room a Taurus or Lincoln Mark VIII fan is a great option, very powerful. You can get them aftermarket from Vintage Air among other places. The Vintage Air fan has a 19" blade.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
If you don't mind the non-stock look, electric fans are great. I run dual electric fans from BeeCool and I love them. As Royce said, just make sure you wire them correctly and do it right. I had issues with overheating all the time before I went electric and now no issues what so ever. Of course some guys are just fine with a stock fan/shroud setup. The question I always ask the guys that run stock setup is this: Will your cooling system maintain an acceptable temp when the car is sitting and idling for 20 minutes on a 95 plus degree day? You be surprised how many say "no" and of course they follow up with "well... I am never going to sit in one place for 20 minutes anyways". My point is, what if you do? Traffic jam, crazy rush hour or accident where you are inching along. It's nice to have that security built into your car. Nothing worse than getting stuck in traffic and knowing that if you don't start moving soon, you will overheat. The sight of a temp guage creeping higher and higher. Been there, done that way too many times! I also hear the old wife's tale about the relay switches creating another point of failure, etc. The fans and circuitry you are getting these days is the same as what they put in new cars that run electric fans. Some of them being highly priced sports cars from Europe. My point is that you don't hear about them breaking down due to circuitry or cooling issues. Here is a link of my before/after setup...

http://www.mattlekawa.com/pictures/camaro/radiatorBeforeAfter.jpg

·
19,864 Posts
Mark VIII fan... what car might we find them on ?

Ford _____ ?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Mark VIII fan... what car might we find them on ?

Ford _____ ?
If you have the room a Taurus or Lincoln Mark VIII fan is a great option, very powerful. You can get them aftermarket from Vintage Air among other places. The Vintage Air fan has a 19" blade.
Doug, see if this is what you are lookin' for^^^^^^^^^^^^

David F.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I prefer electric puller fans myself.Horribly simple to control on/off times and if relay failure is a concern for you..a redundant can be wired in.
They do free up space in the engine bay for sure with the low profile designs available.Cfm #,s are all over the place..no set industry standard that i see.I go with the 1000 cfm per 10 amp draw running tight to a core vs 3000 cfm with an 18 amp draw on the bench.The Mustang black magic single puller is a wise choice for most applications.Good bang for the buck imo.
My application calls for a very low profile/high cfm fan kit.for this i went with Spal30102130.Running both fans pulls 40 amps and keeps my blown big block at 185* f in Woodward Ave dream cruise gridlock.I doubt you need this much airflow..but I would suspect the lincoln fans would be on par here amps wise.
Ps-You can turn off electric fans while setting total timing underhood.With a mechanical fan..I would suggest gear used by your local bomb squad.You have not lived until a fan blade whistles by your head and ends up in the next county.Ask me how i know.The last one i did,missed me but cut the battery positive wire in half before exiting past the crossmember and into the ground.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
If you've got a decent alternator (like a CS 130), electric fans do a much better job of keeping the engine cool sitting still or creeping along. At road speeds they'll actually shut off. Also they turn about the same speed always, unlike a mechanical fun which ranges from too slow to redline.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the good, info looks likes time to clean up the engine compartment and be and stay cool Thanks again

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
For what it's worth, I have actually had an electric fan (Flex-a-Lite) fail before but I will still be replacing the direct drive one in my '69 with an electric at some point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts