Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am shopping for some poly subframe bushings. Prothane has a set at summit for $32, but it says for hardtop only? The vert set is $62. I don't really see a difference in the coupe vs vert applications other than price? Anyone have prothanes?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
The kit you saw for $32 does not include hardware. The hardtop set with hardware is $66. They do not offer the convertible set without hardware.

I've got Energy Suspension kit with hardware. Their part numbers that end in "G" (black ones) are polygraphite. Very nice stuff. Don't know if they fit convertibles though.

·
Retired
26,654 Posts
Steiner nailed it, both convertible and hardtop with hardware are almost the same price in the $60 - $65 price range. I don't know what the difference is and when I installed Prothane in my ragtop I don't recall there being a difference. If I had to venture a guess I would say the hardtop bushings are made of a harder urethane material.

Contact the Prothane folks and find out what is different and let us know what they say...

http://www.prothane.com/

·
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, finally found it and the vert one is with hardware even though Summit page is unclear. I don't want the hardware, so I need to find out the differences from prothane.

BODY MOUNTS
67-69 Body Mount Kit (Convertible Only, w/Hrdwr) 7-120
67-81 Body Mount Kit (Hardtop Only w/o Hrdwr) 7-119
67-81 Body Mount Kit, (Hardtop Only w/ Hrdwr) 7-139
67-81 Body Mount Hardware Kit, (For 7-119) 7-140

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
I don't know if you've got yours apart yet, but for me the hardware was worth whatever they wanted for it.

·
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steiner, I already replaced the bushings a couple of years ago and bought the correct repro hardware. Had to take some of them back out for the trans swap. The bolts and washers are still perfect, the rubber is getting worn though.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Already? That stinks. For your sake I hope the stuff works together. I know for me it wouldn't but I once kicked a midget under a full moon and was cursed for life. You may want to verify that the non-hardware kit at least comes with the metal bushings.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You might consider the solid bushings from DSE, I installed these in mine and it really helped stiffen the car up. They offer them in regular thickness or 1/2" lowering thickness,which is what I used. Very nice pieces!! Don't remember the cost but they will last forever.

·
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talked to the tech at Prothane. Tech says because the part numbers are different, the bushing are different than the coupe. But he could not tell me what the difference was! Lotsa help that answer was! :( I am going to order the vert ones, anyone need some hardware? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts