Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PS box, that i need some help to ID.... It has a few numbers in the casting. Does anyone know what this is? I have pictures but can't seem to upload them.

The casting has this info on one side in this orientation

21 228

On the other side it has what looks like the letter S inside a box

·
10,142 Posts
early boxes had a yellow oval sticker with two letter code stamped on it.
Later boxes have a two letter ink code stamped directly on the end plug and top aluminum cover.
Casting numbers don't ID internal ratios, they are common between allmost all boxes.
I have a method for testing using shaft rotation on my web page below.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
davidpozzi said:
I have a method for testing using shaft rotation on my web page below.
:thumbsup: And it works great! You'll only need to download this degree wheel, glue it to a piece of cardboard and look for a piece of hanger wire. http://www.tavia.com/free_degree_wheel.html
Thanks David.

·
10,142 Posts
The top numbers may be a date code. Check in the Tag Team section of this forum for how to decode the date.
The 5689023 is just a part number, it doesn't tell you the ratio, there are millions of that same number on all kinds of boxes.
The S inside a box is the Saginaw logo.

If it isn't a two LETTER code, ink stamped on the aluminum parts of the box, then you have no way of telling the ratio other than the test method I have on my web page. It could be a 2.5 turn lock to lock box, but be a medium ratio or a variable ratio box. If it's 3 or 4 turns lock to lock, it's an 18 to 1 ratio or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts