Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the forum on this before posting my question and did not see any advice on my particular problem. I have a woodruff key'd PS pump with a double groove pulley. I'm going to replace it with a billet single groove pulley. In attempting to remove the old pulley last night, I took off the retaining nut. However, the pulley only travels maybe 1/8 inch up the pump shaft before I feel a very solid "clunk" where something is keeping it on the shaft. I tried lightly prying and tapping and got no where. Seems that something is still retaining it.

Anyone know what this is and how you remove it?

Here is a picture of my pump
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4071765421/

thanks!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't under the impression that a woodruff style pump needed a puller? They do?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,482 Posts
I wasn't under the impression that a woodruff style pump needed a puller? They do?
the ones I've had do. They get "stuck" on the shaft. The late model stuff has always come off easily by hand, but my older stock ps pumps never did. You can usually rent or borrow the puller from Autozone and similar auto parts houses.

Jody

·
3,386 Posts
Brian,
Get a helper. One of you holds the pulley flat with the weight of the pump hanging from it, the other guy takes a brass punch and a hammer and I bet that one hit and it will be off.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yeah that box of rags is already under the thing, it can't be moved without dripping PS Fluid all over the place after I swear I have completely drained it 4 times now!

Do I need to shim it when going to a 1 groove pulley? Seems like I could have alignment issues given that the replacement pulley isn't stock. If so do I need to get special shims or can washers work?

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
i just used a regular old gear puller to take mine off. no damage to the pulley at all.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Autozone will lend you the tool for free, they just ask for the $45 deposit that you get back when you return the tool. The tool costs $45 so it covers them if you don't bring it back. That said everytime this summer that I needed this (3 times) it was out on loan to someone. The problem is they allow you to keep it for 90 days! That's what I said 90 DAYS. Heck you could run a shop and never buy a tool, just keep borrowing theirs I thought. I think this is an absurd practice because there are dead beats out there that'll not be in a hurry to return it. The first time it had been out a couple weeks already. How can someone be so self centered to not return a tool as soon as they are done with it knowing others may need it?

Now in Autozone's defense they sent me over to Advance Auto to borrow theirs. Same deal $45 deposit, all returned when tool comes back. I offered to pay for the use of the tool since I'd bought the pumps elsewhere, but Advance said they didn't want my money, just buy something there the next time, which I did. A couple times I changed the pulley in their parking lot right in the back of my truck so they'd get their tool back ASAP.

Sorry for the rant, but thought you should know there are other options besides Autozone. I'd have bought one, but don't forsee another use for it for quite sometime.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did their program to borrow a harmonic balancer kit once. I too was amazed at how long they allow it to be on loan. It was a nice kit and they informed me that it would cost something like $150 if I bought it (or failed to return it). That was motivation enough not to have it hanging around unnecessarily! But yeah, who exactly needs 3 months?!?!?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts