Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pulled the A/C evaporator box off the firewall, the PTB stamps were underneath. Obviously, that means the A/C was installed after inspection.
Was the inspection a Fisher function, or Chevy? If it was Chevy, how could they inspect the dog house paint? I was under the impression that the doghouse was installed after the engine bay components.

OK, John Z, When are you going to write that book. I'll even give you the $ 24.95 in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I'm not positive (haven't researched this item specifically), but as I recall, the PTB stamps were a Fisher Body inspection buyoff before the trimmed body (from the firewall back) was shipped across the wall to Chevrolet. Everything on and forward of the firewall was Chevrolet-installed. On my Norwood 02D car, they're on the driver's side of the firewall, just outboard of the cowl tag. Is yours a NOR or LA car?

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
193 Posts
JohnZ,
Were they stamped on both sides like everyone does on a restoration. There was a big discussion in the past about the color used on different years and different shifts. Seems all I have seen is the color orange. Any thoughts?

Is there anywhere or onyone that has the correct documented factory markings that they used on the cars?

[This message has been edited by NealM (edited 04-11-2002).]

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have seen the PTB stamped on both sides on four cars I owned. But that is not necessarily the rule, but in my experience it has been done that way. Also each car had the paint color written by the heater box.

·
Registered
871 Posts
On my previous car ('69 Z/28, May build), when I refinished the firewall (it was nearly bare of all components) I hand sanded the one extra coat of paint from it. This revealed the original PTB markings. My stamps were also on both sides (above heater box and between the cowl tag and fender). They were also GREEN and you could also see drips and slight runs of the green paint (or ink).

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's interesting drdave69 that they used green, I've only seen the color orange. Does anyone know if there was any consisenty to this at all?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks like they were not always together in the same spot. Did they ever use different colors at the same time? Like a different color for a different letter?

Does anyone know anything about the other markings they did?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
NealM, My norwood car has "RGRN" written in white grease crayon. It is a Rally Green car.

The pix I have of another car show a "PTB T" on one side and a "PB" on the other and "333" which I am assuming to be the cars job number but not positive. I will try to post them.

-Mark.

[This message has been edited by stingr69 (edited 04-13-2002).]

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
On my original 02D Norwood car, they're green (outboard of the cowl tag); no sign of any markings at all on the passenger side.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
67 Posts
Both my orange car and white car had the green PTB's. That's interesting that orange is day shift and green is nite shift. Where did you get that information? The green is about the same colour as Artic Cat green and that what we used to duplicate them during the restoration.
Peter

·
Registered
301 Posts
What to the PTB stamps signify...was this an inspection stamp? If so, what were they inspecting to stamp these? Just curious.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone - 350/TH-350 with shift kit, CompCams XE268H, Dynomax Jet-Hot headers, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Vintage Air

-2002 Impala LS - Medium Bronzemist Metallic, every option except engine block heater

<A HREF="http://www.furman.edu/~jtrauner" TARGET=_blank>Click here to see my Camaro and my parents' 2002 Impala LS.
</A>

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is there any other documented markings that they did on the Chevrolet assembly side?

I've seen cars with color marks on the steering components, cross member and brake back plates. These were on restored cars and I was curious as to their accuracy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cool..thanks for the info. My parents just bought a new 2002 Impala LS, and I found it interesting to see that every single bolt in the engine compartment, every bolt on the suspension, all door hinge and latch bolts, and even the seat bolts inside the car have a yellow paint mark on them to show that they have been inspected. You can see the yellow dabs of paint on the motor mounts on the radiator support in the engine pics in my signature.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone - 350/TH-350 with shift kit, CompCams XE268H, Dynomax Jet-Hot headers, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Vintage Air

-2002 Impala LS - Medium Bronzemist Metallic, every option except engine block heater

<A HREF="http://www.furman.edu/~jtrauner" TARGET=_blank>Click here to see my Camaro and my parents' 2002 Impala LS.
</A>

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.