Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Not a good idea to "re-center" the steering wheel by altering its position on the steering shaft; the wheel and shaft splines are designed so the wheel only goes on one way, with a matching "blind spline" on each part - the "blind spline" on the wheel aligns with the stamped mark on the end of the shaft. If you force it on out of alignment, the turn signal cancelling won't work correctly and you can break the cam. Proper centering of the steering wheel (so it's level with the front wheels straight ahead) should be done with the tie rod adjusting sleeves, not by "re-centering" the steering wheel on the shaft in the wrong position.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
If your steering wheel is installed correctly on the shaft and it's off 180 degrees with the wheels straight ahead, I'd take a look at the tie rod sleeves and see if both sides appear to be adjusted approximately the same amount. If they are, you may have another problem, i.e., rag joint mis-assembled 180 degrees off or pitman arm mis-indexed to the pitman shaft. First thing I'd do is pull the steering wheel and make sure the "blind spline" in the hub is lined up with the mark on the end of the shaft, and go from there.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JohnZ,

Both the tie rod ends have the same amount of adjustment.

After takinig it out for a drive yesterday the steering wheel is only off about 70*-80*. I was wrong when I said 170* in the original post. Since I am not dealing with 180* I would rule out the rag joint, correct?

I guess I will pull the wheel and see if it is lined up correctly with the blind spline.

-Funk

[This message has been edited by CFunK (edited 01-21-2002).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts