Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched but can not find the answers to this. I am installing a short water pump on my Big Block 68 Camaro. I ordered those cheap chrome pulleys that are all over the internet, because I can not find the right short pump pulleys. They will not work. They are too large in diameter and touch in the center. Where can I get real steel pulleys that work and are not a million dollars. Any ideas? Thanks Mark

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not know how to find anything on the part numbers but I will work on it. I have found some pulleys but the problem is I do not know what diameter they should be and since the chrome repop ones touch each other, I am worried about buying more until I know what I really need. THANKS for any help. Mark

·
Registered
117 Posts
I went thru the same problems with my bb short water pump setup and probably have 3 different sets that won't work. I ended up buying a 3 groove crank pulley on ebay and I believe it was a march aluminum pulley for a good price. Water pump pulley I did the same thing and got one cheap. Just try searching bb short water pump or crank pulley and see what comes up.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I orginally (when I purchased car in '83) had chrome underdrive pulleys on my car. Since I had overheating problems, I bought new "standard" chrome pulleys. They fit fine. But slip like heck. Tried belt-eze and other fixes. No luck. That was when I was into chrome.

Now, I did the research and picked up "stock" pulleys. CRG has a couple spreadsheets listing the applications and part numbers. I believe the diameters are there, as well.

I bought some originals off of eBay and craigslist. But that is while I was still learning things. Turns out I have some pulleys that aren't really correct for my engine, now. The final set (and most expensive) is the cast 3 groove crank, cast PS, steel 2 groove water pump, and steel alt. pulleys. All are deep grove. They are for 396/375 engines. They should work fine on my 427/425. I, too, did searches and many others are running my set-up (makes sense since it's original)...

I do have a few original and aftermarket pulleys for sale, if you are interested. They are:

PS pump pulley for a '68 BB Camaro. Used original GM. PN: 3925537 DC. Camaro Research Group says it is for a '68 L34 or L35 with and without smog. The L78 used the cast pulley, not this one. But it would work on that engine, too. It is not a "deep groove" pulley. Good, used condition. Single groove 5.7" diameter.

Crank extension pulley for power steering on a '67 BB Camaro. Used original GM. PN: 3874416 BR. Camaro Research Group says it is for a '67 L35 without smog. This pulley is used in addition to the crank pulley to add power steering to a big block engine. Good, used condition. Single groove.

Water pump pulley for a '68 high performance BB Camaro. New, never used reproduction. PN: 3906656 CV. Camaro Research Group says it is for a '67 L35 with smog and a '68 L78 or L89 (w/ smog). It should work on all big block Camaros. It is a "deep groove" pulley. Perfect condition. Two groove 7.1" diameter.

Power steering pulley 3860457 CV. According to CRG, the pulley is used on a '67 L35 w/o smog and '67-8 LF7 and L30. The pulley goes for about $35 on eBay (starting bid). It is in decent shape. I have never used it. Pulled it off a pump I used as a core exchange.

I also have an original PS pump cradle bracket for sale.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts