Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know if there is a way to pull the steering wheel with an airbag without blowing the airbag. I need to fix my steering colum on my 91 Z-28 but I don't want to blow the airbag. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
1985 Camaro, 331 320hp
1991 Camaro Z28 230hp

·
Registered
50 Posts
first disconnect the battery!!!!then in the fuse panel there should be a fuse for the airbags, go ahead and pull that just to be safe. now here is the important part!!!WAIT ABOUT 2 MINUTES AFTER PULLING THE BATTERY CABEL AND FUSE, BECAUSE THEY HAVE A SMALL RESERVE POWER SOURCE THAT LASTS ON MOST CARS FOR ABOUT A MINUTE!!!!!!!! if you pull it too soon you may get smacked in the face which wouldnt be good!!

then proceed with pulling the wheel off. i had to do this with my moms ford taurus.

hope this helps!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for yoour help. That will help quite a bit.

------------------
1985 Camaro, 331 320hp
1991 Camaro Z28 230hp

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd wait at least 15 minutes after disconnecting the battery (disconnect BOTH terminals)...I have been trained in vehicle rescue for 15 years, and have had training from GM reps on airbag safety....they say 15 minutes...probably overkill, but just to be safe...trust me, you DON'T want to set one off accidentally!! Good Luck!

------------------
1969 Daytona Yellow RS/SS

G

·
hi the air bag only holds a 10 second reserve charge after disconnecting the battery at the base of the steering column youlll find a electrical connector also disconnect this then remove the steering wheel
if you have any questions let me know

·
3,446 Posts
Speed,
Just my opinion, but I would not attempt this repair without having the appropriate GM service manual, or at least a copy of the pages describing the operation. There are too many changes made to vehicles every week to take a chance. If you knew the cost of replacing the air bag, the cost of the manual is nothing !
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73

1 - 7 of 7 Posts