Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea what would cause the lights to pulsate on a 1967 rs camaro. At an idle the tail lights and headlights will pulsate slowly getting dim then bright and the frequency will increase as the rpm of the engine increases. The ground straps are installed from the frame to the engine and an extra ground wire added to make sure it is grounded. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is a common issue with older points regulators, and is eliminated with the new retrofit electronic ones. Try checking all the wires first, then, Auto-Zone, ask for a Wells VR715, they aren't expensive.

Regards,

Milton

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
This is a common issue with older points regulators, and is eliminated with the new retrofit electronic ones. Try checking all the wires first, then, Auto-Zone, ask for a Wells VR715, they aren't expensive.

Regards,

Milton
Not sure I buy into that. I have an MSD RTR and have replaced the VR with the Wells unit an still have the "pulse".

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The alternator has 3 windings that each feed into a diode trio to convert 3 phase AC into DC. If one or more of those diodes open up, you might see some pulsating along with poor charging performance (cut by 1/3 to 2/3 depending on how many diodes are affected).

Can you take your alternator to a reputable parts supplier and have them check it out? If a diode has failed, I'd expect it to show up on a bench test. If it passes all tests, then get that VR715 and see if that fixes your issue (might want to get one anyway).

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is not my car it is a friends car. I sent him an email with a link to this thread so hopefully he will chime in and we can help fix his problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I be the guy with the pulsating lights. I have just returned from Florida on a little r & r and will try your suggestions this weekend and let you know the outcome. I thank all for your advise.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Welcome aboard Greg. Russ is ready to go for a ride :beers:

Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
"Not sure I buy into that. I have an MSD RTR and have replaced the VR with the Wells unit an still have the "pulse".".

Fix the connections in the wiring harness, clean the grounds and test the stator for intermittent rpm induced opens.

The distributor has NOTHING to do with regulator switching issues affecting the lights.

Regards,

Milton

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
"Not sure I buy into that. I have an MSD RTR and have replaced the VR with the Wells unit an still have the "pulse".".

Fix the connections in the wiring harness, clean the grounds and test the stator for intermittent rpm induced opens.

The distributor has NOTHING to do with regulator switching issues affecting the lights.

Regards,

Milton
Milton,

Care to translate that to English for me?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
...The distributor has NOTHING to do with regulator switching issues affecting the lights...

Regards,

Milton
Perhaps I missed something above - I don't think anything was said about a distributor. Perhaps you read about the "points style" regulator above and assumed the poster was talking about a distributor. There were talking about the OEM mechanical regulator.

While I can't say if a solid state regulator will fix the OP problem, I am quite confident that a solid state regulator will do a much better job of regulating voltage - so long as the alternator can keep up (can't make voltage that isn't there).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Aha...you are right, I had a rough day today, too many new drugs to buy for the pharmacies, and meant to mention that the new electronic regulators, like the VR715, don't turn the alternator on and off, like the older point ones did, but capture and hold the voltage steady. That would mean there could be a further problem within the alternator, in the stator and-or rotor, or in the wiring, connectors, grounds, all that other stuff.

Regards,

Milton.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I finally got a chance to work on my pulsating lights. After checking the the alternator, which was fine, it put on the VR715 and it worked. Thanks for the advise. Now, working on the tail lights. Have an idea where the wiring block is in the rear of the car? The wiring diagram says that both inboard and outboard tail light are suppose to do the same thing. With the lights on, I remove the inboard light and the high-side goes out. When I put it back in, the high-side comes on. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
32,434 Posts
Body plug for the rear is behind the driver kick board. Brown wire is tailights. Blue & green are stoplights and each color a direction for turn signal.

Both blue & green go through the turn signal switch to interrupt stoplight to become turn signal selected. With a '67 and no back-up lights, only the outer bulbs are tail/stop lights. The inner bulb(s) are only tail lights. Also, front park lights go out with headlight selection.

I would check socket grounds in the trunk before going further. I believe the colors may be correct, however, you have the book in front of you, I'm going by memory and the wife suggests it may be fading fast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your wife must know mine 'cause she says the same about me. Currently, both inboard lights are double filament bulbs, 1157. If what you say is true (I do not have the diagram in front of me) why then are they showing two wires going to the inboard bulbs, and currently, that's the way the car is wired?

·
Super Moderator
32,434 Posts
I stand corrected, if two wires to inside bulbs, then bulb is dual purpose.
Now at work, on break, Brown is tail light, Yellow is left turn/stop light, Dark green is right/stop light. light green is back-up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts