Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am almost done installing the motor and trans. Here are the two issues/questions.

1. As I was working around the motor today, I noticed that some of my pushrods were still able to be spun with my fingers, even thought there was no "slack" in them., Now, they were not in their original "adjusted" position. Would it be normal for a pushrod, somewhere in the stroke, to be able to be turned with your fingers?

2. I bolted the engine and tranny together today, and I when I went to connect the torque converter to the flexplate, it would not move. I somehow (discovered after I took it back apart) allowed the converter to slipped forward a little and it was not sitting all the way back against the transmission. I took the bolts loose and slid the converter back, bolted the stuff together, and it spun freely as it was supposed to. I then bolted it to the flexplate and continued with the other things on the car.

Is is it possible that I damaged the tranny in this situation? I'm not taking it out, but I am curious.

350/350

I also asked this on the other TC board, just in case you think you are seeing things. :)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
1: I did mine today. zero lash (no clicky clicky up and down) plus 1/4 turn preload. I can still spin the pushrods if the valve is not open.

2: as long as it didn't run, you didn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1: I did mine today. zero lash (no clicky clicky up and down) plus 1/4 turn preload. I can still spin the pushrods if the valve is not open.

2: as long as it didn't run, you didn't hurt anything.

Thank you JIm. I did spin the thing with a big screwdriver about a 1/4 turn before I realized something was wrong.

I hope to fire her tomorrow. Eveyone on this board cross your fingers, toes, arms and whatever else you can cross. I need this to be the one time when I did it right the first time.:)

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Agree on pushrods being OK.

On tranny you are probly good too as long as it didn't get started in a bind. All it was is the slots on the verter weren't splined to the oil pump gear.

Got stuff crossed for you here boss.:D

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
since you didnt start it. you still of may of bent the flywheel , broken or cracked the pump gears in the pump. than when you start it and fill or may not fill at all, and doesnt move you killed the pump in tranny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts