Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new new speedometer cable and gear, drove the car on local roads, and the speedometer was reading 10 MPH slower than I was actually driving, verified this with another car next to me, but on the highway at 55 MPH or highter the speedometer is 20 MPH slower, I verified this using two diffrent cars as my guide. Does anyone have an opinion on this phenomenon ???

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/d_depaolo/

·
Registered
980 Posts
Somewhere, your combo for speedo gears is incorrect. The way you have it, there won't be a consistent 10mph difference from 5-120 MPH. It's a direct proportion - - The higher your incorrect speedo is reading, the more off it actually is. so the problem is with your speedo gears, the combination you need is between 2 gears. The one that attaches to the cable, and the one inside the transmission. I'm not sure who to direct you to, but there should be a difinitive answer somewhere such as "case gear 20teeth, speedo cable gear 13", depending on your rear-end gearing, and tire size. Keep in mind there are only so many gear combinations available, so you might not get it closer than +/- 7 at 65 MPH

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts