Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Putting the heads on my 406 tonight. Wiped off the cylinder bores above the pistons. Should I spray any wd40 or whatever on cylinder walls before bolting on the heads? They don't seem all that lubricated. Don't want to do any damage on first start up.
Engine has never been started.
Thanks
RJ

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Re: putting heads on new shortblock

No need imo.The cross hatch in the cyl walls will retain assembly oil.

·
Super Moderator
32,526 Posts

Assembling with moly rings, chrome rings, and cast iron rings, I never had a problem with oiling the rings.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts

I always wipe mine with trans fluid with a lint free rag, untill the rag wipes fairly clean. I know guys use marvel mystery oil the same way.
Can't say if it's 100% necessary or not but I've always done it. I think you should do something even if it's a little motor oil, it takes a second for oil to start to hit the cylinders.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts

I always wipe mine with trans fluid with a lint free rag, untill the rag wipes fairly clean. I know guys use marvel mystery oil the same way.
x2, I used MMO and it was amazing how long and how many lint free rags it took to get clean.

Can't say if it's 100% necessary or not but I've always done it. I think you should do something even if it's a little motor oil, it takes a second for oil to start to hit the cylinders.
My understanding from my engine machining class is during assembly you want to try to get the motor as clean as possible to prevent any debris from causing problems like lodging in a bearing surface.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

I'd say it wouldn't hurt, also, when you start the motor even if it's a roller cam don't let it idle at least for a few minutes for the cylinders to get some heat, engines are terribly inefficient at cold start and the raw cold fuel I've been told will wash the cylinder walls of oil which would lead to scarring. Just what I've been told, seems logical.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts