Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this may seem like a stupid question but I am not clear on whether or not I can connect two fans to this controller? I have the Entropy radiator and want to use this unit but it never once refers to connecting two fans to it which is exactly what I want to do. I am capable of splitting the harness so the hot and negative go to both but can't really understand how it would operate the fans independently (which I thought was the whole point)? Or maybe it will operate both but not at different speeds. Am I missing something? Instructions for the unit and the unit itself:

constant temperature controllers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
When you have PWM you don’t need to operate the fans independently. Connect them in parallel (two positives together and two minuses connected together) to the controller. It is actually better this way because you get uniform air flow over the entire radiator versus some controllers (like Johns beloved Dakota Digital controller) that run one fan for low and two fans for high.

PWM control gives you continuously variable fan speed.

Don

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,628 Posts
Don, by connecting them in parallel, would you just have to get a controller that can handle both peak amps or what? I know the pwm spins them up gradually but am unsure of how to pick one for two fans. I am asking because I also have the entropy ones and they are high amperage fans. Something like 65 amps on both.

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Don, by connecting them in parallel, would you just have to get a controller that can handle both peak amps or what? I know the pwm spins them up gradually but am unsure of how to pick one for two fans. I am asking because I also have the entropy ones and they are high amperage fans. Something like 65 amps on both.
Easiest answer is to just buy the biggest controller. But with PWM you will never see the peak current of either fan. Maximum average current of each fan Is what you will see. Unfortunately that is not something normally spec’d so I just buy the biggest one. Cost difference is very small.
Don

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I have an Entropy with dual fans. I currently use a Dakota Digital controller but find the PWM controller an interesting option and have been doing some research on those. I like that with the Dakota I can play around with start and stop temps and manually test the fans. I measured the current of the fans and startup was 26 amps for one fan and 29 for the other, both settled in at 10.7 amps each after that.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
814 Posts
I'm busy with my VA install, and I'm having a custom dual fan shroud built right now by a local outfit called The MetalMen in Chicopee, MA. But I decided to go with Carl Casanova's PWM design, now going to be marketed by Northern Radiator. Carl's had it in his car for nearly a year to prove it out, and they have run tests with the dual Ford Contour fans that I'm going to run. Once I finish up the VA, and get the finished shroud, I'll get the PWM installed and connected.

Here's a link for the Northern Radiator PWM Page: Northern Radiator PWM

If you're in Western/Central New England need some specialty metal work here's a great resource: The-MetalMen

There's a few gear heads over at the MetalMen shop, the guy who's working on my shroud has a Shelby GT-350 and a few other cars. My project is a really small one for them, but I'm glad they're doing it. It's an impressive shop.

Reactions: Riverbud

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm busy with my VA install, and I'm having a custom dual fan shroud built right now by a local outfit called The MetalMen in Chicopee, MA. But I decided to go with Carl Casanova's PWM design, now going to be marketed by Northern Radiator. Carl's had it in his car for nearly a year to prove it out, and they have run tests with the dual Ford Contour fans that I'm going to run. Once I finish up the VA, and get the finished shroud, I'll get the PWM installed and connected.

Here's a link for the Northern Radiator PWM Page: Northern Radiator PWM

If you're in Western/Central New England need some specialty metal work here's a great resource: The-MetalMen

There's a few gear heads over at the MetalMen shop, the guy who's working on my shroud has a Shelby GT-350 and a few other cars. My project is a really small one for them, but I'm glad they're doing it. It's an impressive shop.
Went to the Northern Radiator website and couldn't actually find a way to price out or order the PWM. Is it phone order only?

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
Suggestion -
By OE design, there are two BATT power points on both sides of radiator - Battery Junction block and Horn Relay.
Why not have the PWM control two separate relays, one for each fan with fan power coming from these power points, thus having less load on PWM and more power available for the fans due to the shorter wire run from block/relay to fans?

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Suggestion -
By OE design, there are two BATT power points on both sides of radiator - Battery Junction block and Horn Relay.
Why not have the PWM control two separate relays, one for each fan with fan power coming from these power points, thus having less load on PWM and more power available for the fans due to the shorter wire run from block/relay to fans?
The PWM controller does not drive relays. It has internal FET switches, no relays.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
The PWM controller does not drive relays. It has internal FET switches, no relays.

Don
OK don you are getting out of my league. I know a little about PWM, but what are FET switches?

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
OK don you are getting out of my league. I know a little about PWM, but what are FET switches?
Field Effect Transistor switches are essentially solid state switches that can operate much faster than relays. PWM control turns the fans on and off with a variable duty cycle (the ratio between on and off time) to vary the fan speed.

Don

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,628 Posts
Don, are there any advantages or downfalls with using the FET switches (instead of relays)?

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Don, are there any advantages or downfalls with using the FET switches (instead of relays)?
You can’t implement PWM with relays because you cannot toggle them on and off fast enough. Generally speaking FETs are more relaible because there is no contact arcing and there are no mechanical parts to wear out.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Don,
i need one of these shortly also. How doyou see the choices just based on controller hardware.
Lingenfelter. Very adaptable device. Overkill for radiator fan control. Most s*** to go wrong.
DC Control. Trimmable device. Less s t g w.
Northern Radiator. Fixed device. Least s t g w
do you see it differently?

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
I like the Northern part. Designed and developed by Carl from Vaporworx and the guy from DCC. I’ve also used several DCC controllers with good results.

I think you’ll need a brushless fan to use the Ligenfelter controller.

Don

·
Registered
43 Posts
yes the LPE box is for brushless fans.
it also is universal in the fact it can run multiple things and not just a stand alone fan controller.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts