Team Camaro Tech banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
OK... You can buy the Northern Radiator PWM unit on eBay and the seller is Dillon Radiator. Don't think we're allowed to post eBay stuff. You can also call Dillon and buy direct. They are very courteous and speedy.

Dillon Radiator

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I went ahead and purchased the PWM fan controller from Dillon which came today (go figure, FedEx on a Sunday). Was thinking about the hook up of this and was wondering if there is any reason I can't use the wiring I installed from my engine harness which runs back to two fan relays. I originally ran dedicated wires from the two relays to the radiator support thinking to connect them directly to the fans with the supplied weatherpak connectors. They are a good +bat source and the correct gauge but does it matter if they originate from a relay? Sorry in advance if this is a total rookie question.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, I am talking to myself now but that's OK. I think upon retrospect I may have answered my own question. I am assuming the relays are triggered by the temperature gauge and provide power to the fans via the ECM. Since they are only triggered on/off at a given temperature they would only provide voltage within that range so probably not a good source for continuous power.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, I got the controller mounted up and wired to my fans but I am kind of scratching my head regarding wiring the trinary switch. The VA directions are for relay operated fans so it doesn't help me much. I currently have the compressor clutch wire, the light blue VA wire and the 20 ga blue wire from the controller (which the directions state to connect to the compressor clutch wire) but not sure what goes where and do I need to ground the 4th trinary switch wire or does it need to be wired to a key on battery connection? I am way out of my league here so helping someone can steer me in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
4,371 Posts
You willl not be using the second switch in the trinary switch if you connected the PWM controller to the compressor clutch.

Don

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You will not be using the second switch in the trinary switch if you connected the PWM controller to the compressor clutch.

Don
Don - thanks for the reply. Can you maybe clarify please? I haven't connected anything as yet, just trying to figure out what I should and should not. The trinary has two blue and two black/green wires. Are you saying I will only use one set of these or?

·
Premium Member
4,371 Posts
Yes you will only use the side of the trinary switch that connects to the clutch. There is two pressure switches in a trinary switch. One for the compressor and one for the fans. Since you connected your fan controller to the clutch you will not be using the fan switch.

Essentially you are using your trinary switch as a binary switch. Got into a big debate over this with John a while ago, not wanting to go there again.... 🙂

Don

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes you will only use the side of the trinary switch that connects to the clutch. There is two pressure switches in a trinary switch. One for the compressor and one for the fans. Since you connected your fan controller to the clutch you will not be using the fan switch.

Essentially you are using your trinary switch as a binary switch. Got into a big debate over this with John a while ago, not wanting to go there again.... 🙂

Don
So I happen to have the binary switch as well. Should I just use it instead? I remember the discussion and I think I confused myself thinking I needed to use the trinary when in reality the PWM controller actually changes some of those functions. The Northern Radiator directions specifically state "connect the blue wire to the ac compressor clutch wire" so I am assuming that's the trigger to turn the fans on when the a/c is engaged.

·
Premium Member
4,371 Posts
So I happen to have the binary switch as well. Should I just use it instead? I remember the discussion and I think I confused myself thinking I needed to use the trinary when in reality the PWM controller actually changes some of those functions. The Northern Radiator directions specifically state "connect the blue wire to the ac compressor clutch wire" so I am assuming that's the trigger to turn the fans on when the a/c is engaged.
Yes you can just use the binary switch for your application.

Don

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
Tim... I'm a little behind you as far as installing the PWM goes... I have to get the Vintage Air all set and plumbed, and I expect my new shroud to be finished this week (please) so I can mount the radiator and fans, then think about the wiring. The shop has my fans, my radiator, and my shroud "prototype" along with my CAD drawings. The fabricator wanted to fit it as close to my wood/illustration board "prototype" as possible I'm undecided on the placement of the controller, maybe on the shroud, maybe on the core support. If you have time, post up some pix of your progress.

Mike

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Mike - I just mounted and wired the controller today so your timing is good. I had the metripak connectors for the fan wiring and ran it under the fan body but didn't take any pictures. I used the mount provided but painted it since the aluminum was kind of ratty. With the entropy radiator there was no way to mount it in the shroud so I went with the radiator support option.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,629 Posts
Shannon, which version of the controller did you get? The 40(?) or 65 amp one? Do you have the single or dual entropy fan setup?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
This one is from Dillon (Northern Radiator) and they only have one version as far as I am aware. I know DCC has two or three based on amperage draw but decided to give these guys a try. The picture above has a lot of flash splash but the unit itself is very small, about 2 X 2 by 1/2" thick. I have the dual fan setup.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts