Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I just got a 69RS that needs to be finished.
I was told it had a 327 cid in it w/forged flattops. On the balancer there is no bolt securing it to the crank or threads,It looks like a button inside of it.
Is this normal? I dont want it to fling off while its running.

·
3,386 Posts
RS (?),
The early small blocks did not use a bolt to hold the damper on. They depended on the press fit to do the job. If the motor is mostly stock and will not be raced, it should be fine. If you are really going to be "leaning" on it, or if it is modified quite a bit, I would drill and tap the front of the crank for a bolt.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BillK,
Thank you for the reply. This helps out alot.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
32,431 Posts
Use an installer to install, plenty of oil.

Seven-sixteeths -20 threads per inch, if by chance the orig threading fails, you can go and use a coiled thread insert, as in Heli-coil. Worked for me.

A suggestion, before installing the balancer, slide onan O-ring to go between the balancer and sprocket, this will cut down on oil seeping by the interface between the two, Chrysler does it.

I might need an education here, but I thought 68 was the last year of 327 CID, after that it was 307 & 350

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everett,
I have the original 350(matching#)but it needs to be rebuilt. The 327 is just to get by for now, just needs rad hoses and heater core and other misc to fire it up..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts