Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you motor-heads. I am having new life breathed back in to my '84 305HO (longblock rebuild) and need to do something about the 4bbl quadrajet. any suggestions for aftermarket or resource for buying a replacement? I appreciate your suggestions.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Send that thing down to The Carb Shop or someone like that and have them do a performance rebuild on your carb...they can work wonders with those q-jets.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

·
Registered
348 Posts
Throw the quadradog in the trash and use a Holley.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 50 Dodge truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.

G

·
Yeah, thats right, Throw it at me and I will GUARANTEE I can make it run better than a 780 vac sec holley. As fast at WOT and 10-20% better mpg.

Whats wrong with it? If it just needs a rebuild and a performance tweak you can do it at home, no prob. Not impressed with CarbShop work, expensive price. Might want to check around your local area and see if anyone can fix you up.

If you are modifying the motor you might want to bump primary jet sizes by 2, and use a sharper tapered secondary metering rod. Power piston spring change depends on cam change from stock.

Email me if you can find anyone. I dont have the time to do any Qs right now, but a retired RPD engineer in Rochester does the rebuilds for $130 plus any parts. In fact I jsut did one for a Team Chevelle member down in Cocoa ( Merritt Is ).

They aint that bad to tackle but are harder to tune than a Holley because you have to pop the top off, which is THE biggest PITA on a QJ.

------------------
Gene
Team Chevelle Gold Member /ACES
67 SS 427 Chevelle

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 03-08-2001).]

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have heard of real successful Q-jet builds that are quite high performance. I had a website bookmarked about it, but it was lost in a HD failure, sorry. If you are concerned about fuel economy, then stick to a spread bore. If you don't care too much, go with a holley 600-650 cfm range. You will likely spend just as much cash getting the Q-jet rebuilt anyway unless you do it yourself, which is indeed a pain. The nice thing about a Holley is its simplicity. You can literally cart a flat head screwdriver and a Philips screwdriver with you and do tweaks at red lights, change squirters, pump cams, float level etc. Oh one more thing, if you decide to go for a square bore, be sure to get the adapter plate to fit onto the spread bore intake manifold.

------------------
Brave man not milk bull... only stupid man

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
In my opinion the q-jet is the way to go on all but the baddest street car..the throttle response, power and fuel economy (when properly tuned) are second to none. The reason that q-jets get a bad rap is because they are harder to tune properly, and they do wear out...sure, a brand new holley will usually work better than a 30 year old carb but with a little freshening up they work great. Most flow around 750 cfm...this will support a lot of motor. They are also super versatile...they have been used on everything from old pontiac stright 6's to 455 BOP's. For high hp applications, they normally need a little better fuel system than a holley requires because of the small float bowl capacity.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

·
Registered
650 Posts
I thought most q-jets were around 500-650 cfm range, but I could be wrong.

------------------
Brave man not milk bull... only stupid man

1 - 7 of 7 Posts