Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just started my 67 camaro convertible after it sat all winter. After 10 attempts with no starting I replaced the plugs and points which looked ok, but are probably 6 years old (last 6 years only 1,000 miles of use). After several more attemps it started, it idles well, cleaned the dust off the windows and drove it a couple miles it ran strong. Over the weekend I used it 3 more times without any problems. Then I could only started with the gas pedal held to the floor, it would start but ran rich, felt like it was running on 5 cylinders and would stall at speeds under 1,000 rpms. The 327 has dual exhaust, at the tail pipes dinner plate sized soot marks. I looked down the quadrajet (#7029207 / 1296) one primary spraying heavy, the other front had no spray. Read some "posts" pulled the carb hoping to find a float / needle / debree issue, but all looks ok. The carb in 3 days time from flood to pulling - didn't have a trace of fuel inside. Other posts indicate to seal the well plugs. I do have have a question, if you flip the carb over, in the front are two chambers with one tube in each. One angled tube has a cap, the other is open - but the pcv tube is on this side. Is this normal? Also one of the fine brass 1 1/4" tubes had fallen from the top section of the carb into a well, could that cause a problem. I bought this carb new in June of 1987 for $158.00 (dealer employee cost+ 10%), boy have prices changed. Fuel filter was clean, but distorted. I will try to post some pics. Any and all advice is appreciated. One new find, when I spray carb cleaner in the primary seats, on one side it comes out the top primary, but on the other side spray comes out the bottom where the cap is missing. No sign of metal from a cap that could have once been there.

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Peter,

The plug you're missing is usually a lead plug, and your picture looks as if you had the carb mounted without the stainless plate between the gasket and the carb base - this would allow the exhaust (if your hot slot is not blocked off) to melt it out. Also, check to be sure the heat riser is not siezed / stuck shut (again, if the hot slot is still functional). I tapped and blocked my "hot slot", as GM recalled these cars for fire issues - "back in the day". If you need any pictures, just PM me, as I currently have several QuadraJets apart. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
I didn't have a stainless plate, I"ll try to shop for one. The weighted flapper does move. Do you think I can try to epoxy a copper end cap used for plumbing lines for like an ice-maker. I couldn't find any carb caps listed with carb parts / kits.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Peter,

The stainless plate can be purchased localy (got mine through Auto-Zone, if I remember correctly), and as mentioned in previous post, Cliffs may be able to help with the plug kit, but I would call to verify before placing an order, as usually they sell a kit for sealing up the passages that are not shown in your picture. The kit is usually for the plugs located between the base and fuel bowl section (not visible until seperated / taken apart). Do you have a picture of the part that you stated fell down ?, as this could be a seperate issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
The tube is brass 3/32" x 1 1/4" was reinsatalled using a small plastic type hammer. In past rebuilt posts I know they make sure they are tight, but not sure what happens if they fall out. I am going to try photobucket. It was the left tube next to the secondary jets.
img src="http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn262/PPVAS/camaro/015.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

·
Registered
416 Posts
Peter,

As long as it's reinstalled, and snug / tight, you should be OK. This was not related to your "flooding", as this only comes into play when the secondaries are "open", and you probably wouldn't notice the difference. You didn't mention, but is your "hot slot" (exhaust passage under the front of the carb, at the intake manifold) still functional ?

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
If you are using the stock QJ manifold you need the stainless "baffle" in place as stated or something to block the heat passage. If you just have just a gasket in place it would eventually burn through and create a giant vac leak and be hard to keep the car running under 1k rpm or so. Ask me how I know...
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180917

If you get the baffle and replacement gasket, the baffle goes closest to the carb. The gasket goes on the manifold.

The filter photo looks like somebody squeezed in the long filter where a short one should be. There should be a spring in there also, so the filter bypasses if it clogs.

Also sounds like your float may be saturated. Good idea to replace it.

Cliff Ruggles offers EXCELLENT Qjet rebuild kits(and floats) at EXCELLENT prices.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey George,
Now I'm confused, my intake manifold has the exhaust slot, the first gasket has the exhaust slot, I found the stainless gasket which has no slot, which is on top of the slotted gasket, then a third base gasket which also has no slot. So it would seem manifold slot has two layers blocking the carb from any access to said slot. I did this 25 years ago, when I knew everything, but can't remember what came with the carb.
="http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn262/PPVAS/camaro/019.jpg"

·
Registered
416 Posts
X2 on the gasket. You just need one at the manifold, then the stainless seperator, then carb. Again, if the tie strap (in your first picture) is in a hole where the lead plug should be, you need to get that blocked off. Any luck on finding a plug / part ? The filter in your last picture looks to be possibly the wrong type, the early Quadrajets used the brass like (for lack of a better description) solid filter, which has an alignment depression in the rear center of the filter, which goes over a pin inside the fuel inlet, on top of a spring. That allows it to bypass if it becomes resticted. Just a thought, have you gotten any bad fuel ? The reason I ask, is I have seen where moisture has frozen during the winter months, dislodging the sealing plugs. Not everyone has heated storage for their cars, so just asking, to try and get to the reason for the missing plug.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to call Cliff Ruggles today and see if the bottom seal kit will work. Also I spoke to my nephew who works for JPC Racing (all years of Mustangs), who told me of a father and son team that specialize in quadrajets. They have been given awards from the boating industry for the quality of their work in the Baltimore area. Best yet is if the carb is dropped off from a shop that has an account with them a basic overhaul starts @ $95.00 (I know mine will be more). But my nephew who knows the son told my everyone is going to the big car show in Ocean City Maryland. The show runs Thursday thru Sunday. Over 3,000 cars registered for the shows and thousands drive their own "classic" car down. Years ago "Hooters" would have a burn out contest (with police present). So, one more option to explore but still days away.
http://www.specialeventpro.com/cruisin.php

1 - 15 of 15 Posts