Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 454 in a 70 Camaro, Headman ceramic headers, and an aggravating "tat tat tat" leak on #5 that I can't tighten out of. It appears to have a multi layer aluminum gasket now. Which brand is the hot ticket now? Not concerned with re-use etc, just want a quality gasket to get rid of that leak. Saw some made by MAHLE, Mr. Gasket, Remflex..... more names than I ever knew made them.

-Craig

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I like Percy's Dead Soft Aluminum gaskets; but nothing is going to seal if your headers are warped. While you have them off put a straight edge across the flange and measure to see how far off flat they are.

If they are too warped you are going to have to cut a tube and reweld it, which negates your ceramic coating.

Big Dave

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have always used FelPro….but if your flange and head is not dead nuts flat, nothing is going to seal

always advised re-tighten header bolts after a few heat cycles after initial install

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave, I saw that brand as well. On a small block I had that wouldn't seal, I just cut the flange and it pulled up fine. These headers/gaskets were on already on this particular car so I'll try gaskets first.
By the way, the 396 goes in my 69 on Monday. Took awhile but I done lots more engine bay work etc than I intended. Oh, and no headers!

-Craig

I like Percy's Dead Soft Aluminum gaskets; but nothing is going to seal if your headers are warped. While you have them off put a straight edge across the flange and measure to see how far off flat they are.

If they are too warped you are going to have to cut a tube and reweld it, which negates your ceramic coating.

Big Dave

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are hard gaskets?
I've been using Remflex without issue, don't attempt to bend them though.
Yeah I'm not sure on these. The Headmans are relatively new so hopefully a thicker/plyable gasket will take care of it. I tried tightening them but they were pretty much as tight as they are going to get.
I have always used FelPro….but if your flange and head is not dead nuts flat, nothing is going to seal

always advised re-tighten header bolts after a few heat cycles after initial install

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, Just found out the brand gaskets on the headers now. Percy's Seal-B-Good is the brand. Believed to have been on the car since 2015 installed. Car has been driven around 3500 miles.

-Craig

Big Dave

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have found that if the weld for the tube is in the inner part of the flange, then ground flat, the chance is high that one or more ports don't seal well. Use a flat edge to check these welds, or the entire flange for warping. I don't think there's a gasket out there that can compensate for much warpage.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Try using a double set of gaskets and spray some copper coat in between them and they should seal even if a little warped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts