Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my Camaro is in the body shop, I thought I would get to work recovering the seats. Any opinions on who manufactures the best quality upholstery?? Carpet?? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Year One makes great upolstry items. I purchase a delux interior for my 69 Camaro and an interior for my 57 Bel Air. Both look great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had good luck with a kit manufactured by P.U.I. that I have installed in a '68 a few years ago. Firewheel Classics is a distributor for them. You can find them at: www.firewheelclassics.com
They sell 2 brands so be sure to specify.

·
Registered
297 Posts
*Almost all of the major suppliers sell PUI (Rick's, NPD, YR1, etc.). I have used PUI twice, once on a '69 SS396 Chevelle and once on a Corvette. Both times they fit real well with a little work. Make sure you get new foam also. I had a buddy who recovered old original foam with new covers and they looked like #$%^@&, too loose and many wrinkles. Also, lay the covers in the sun for a couple of hours, makes it much easier to work with.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I especially appreciate the feedback on PUI and on the new seat buns. I have had good luck ordering from Ground Up and they offer the PUI. One last question, this car is an RS/SS convt with a 396. I am restoring to original as much as posssible. The interior is black deluxe. I would like to keep everything black except to install the red deluxe seat covers with the black stripes for a little more sizzle. Am I crazy deviating from the original? THANKS again for all of the replies!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My opinion: cover them in the color you want. Seat covers can be easily and cheaply (relatively speaking) replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts