Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a first-gen camaro but every car I have looked at either has rust or dents on the quarter panels. I am finall y giving in. I found a guy selling a '68 RS/SS all original with the original houndstooth interior, but has a dent right behind the wheel. I think this dent can be beat out, but for future awareness, how hard is it to put on a new quarter? I always heard it is a pain, but what about a body shop doing it, do you guys know how much it is to have a professional body shop do it. And will it bring down the value of the car?
Thanks for your input,
Kyle

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Kyle,
You will probably get a better response on body and sheet metal questions in the Body Shop section of this site, just for future reference.
Any time a repair is noticable, it will lower the value of a car in my opinion. That is not to say putting a new 1/4 panel on will lower the value, however.
If it were me, I would probably opt for a full 1/4 replacement from a quality repair shop. It is really hard to say what the cost will be but you can help yourself by removing the rear bumper, the inner 1/4 trim panel, rear seat, sail panel trim, etc.
Try checking with some Camaro clubs in your area for some recommendations on shops and be prepared to supply the panel, if necessary. Ground Up is the sponsor of this site and they carry the full 1/4 panel you need.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just had this done.
I dont agree with the full quarter replace.
I think that when you cut out sheetmetal for a full quarter, around glass and trunk area, you are asking for leaks.
Mine was cut just below the top edge of the quarter and down about an inch from the door jamb and off at the bottom.
Full weld all the way around.
Mine looks great.
Value - The car is 30 years old, I bet there are not many out there that hasn't had any body work.
email me if you want pics of mine, we just finished blocking car for the last time.
Going painting.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to piggyback on your post but I wanted to ask RONDTEAL a question.

Is your car going to be a weekend cruiser or a show car. If a cruiser, how are you planning to paint. What I mean is, are you going to paint everything off the car? I ask becasue I'm about to do the final block of my car and I can't decide how to proceed. I know for the show finish, painting separately is the way to go. I'm just curious about how detailed to be for the cruiser. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Are you painting yourself or is a body shop doing it?
Rondteal,

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Rondteal is certainly right about the 80% 1/4 panel. It can be a lot easier to install. The problem is it will show from inside the trunk. Visible repair=lesser value. That's what I was getting at to answer the original post.
I'm not trying to start an argument but if the full quarter is installed properly, there will be no leaks and the installation will be harder to detect. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thank all of you for your replys, you have certainly been a great help. I will probably do a full new quarter if I need to, otherwise I will try to have them repair it.
I thank you again,
Kyle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts