Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 69's with factory tachometer, was the brown wire always routed as a stand-alone wire from the guage to the coil?...or was it at times part of the the harnesses (dash and engine) wrapped in the black tape?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
AIM shows it separate from the main engine harness, but taped to the engine harness in several places. In other words, it ran with the main harness and was taped to same, but was not wrapped inside the harness. Make sense?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's why I'm asking. I have a factory tach car, but my wiring has been somewhat Bubba'd.

I have a mystery brown wire that's inside the harness tape. This brown wire exits the engine harness at the same location the wires to the coil, wiper motor, etc. The connector has been cut off. And I've traced this wire back to the firewall to the block.

Could this be the tach wire, though it's inside the harness, taped with all the other engine harness wires?

Please advise. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, my next test was a continuity test. The problem is, getting to the back of the Tach. I'll let you know what I learn. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Looking at the AIM page for RPO U16, tach lead on engine harness side was as I stated earlier, separate wire secured to existing engine harness with pieces of 3 inch long tape, at four locations along the harness. Underdash harness looks like the wire got wrapped into the main harness close to the fuse box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts