Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never really noticed this. When the dots on the cam and crank are aligned, is #6 at TDC? I would have figured it would be #1........

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
That's one reason why I've always installed them "Dots UP" and timed for the #1 cylinder :yes:
I've never had problem one with 'timing' since I started doing this back in the 60's :beers:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Yes it took me a while to figure that out, been many years ago, I did tease the kids
later about this later, not to bad, I had my problems too.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Dot to dot...reinstall the chain cover and balancer,rotate the crank counterclockwise to 10* btdc on the timing tab and stab the distributor with the rotor tip aligned with #6 terminal on the cap.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
1 and 6 are companion cylinders, both are at tdc at the same time. But companion cylinders are at compression 1 revolution apart. Stab with dots together so you can see more accurately then turn it 1 rev if you don't want to stab dist to 6 like George said.

write your firing order like this
the above and below pairs are all companion cylinders.
this is why there is a critter called a 4-7 swap cam.

you can watch the valves on 6 and know where 1 is,,,,
when the companion begins the overlap event the other cyl is approaching tdc compression. That's how I've set engine valves over 30 years now on great big very expensive engines and it works on car engines too. But with radical cams you have to let the intake move more before you are at tdc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts