Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me to know which direction this fuel filter is installed? The housing did not come with a direction arrow on it. so I did not know which way to install the filter.
Thank you,
Brett....
Does the fuel flow into this direction.....
Automotive tire Adhesive Wood Paint Adhesive tape

....Or into this direction?
Automotive tire Camera lens Textile Wood Finger

Attachments

Super Moderator
1967 RS Bench seat 327/2bbl/PG
I would input to the inside for containing the sediment/junk inside the filter.
thereby all contents come out with filter when cleaning or changing element.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, that's pretty smart. Thank you for the logic and the reply.
Brett....

Premium Member
Everett's idea makes sense although I would say that a filter is going to work either way. I have also noticed that see-through filters collect the trash on the outside, I assume to see it better.

Carburetor filters like the ones shown have the trash on the inside.

Wood Household hardware Bullet Cylinder Metal

Finger Thumb Engineering Machine Auto part

Reactions: rp930

Registered
Can someone help me to know which direction this fuel filter is installed? The housing did not come with a direction arrow on it. so I did not know which way to install the filter.
Thank you,
Brett....
Does the fuel flow into this direction.....
View attachment 299961
....Or into this direction?
View attachment 299962
Debris collection is on the outside. Think Rochester Carburetor fuel filter.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like there are good points made for either direction. I guess I could say - If I do not plan on cleaning the filter, it would be acceptable to insert it with the input of flow entering the inside? Then there is the fact that there is more "Surface Area" around the outside, so it would take longer to fill the surface with debris. But....Then there is more "Area" on the inside, but it would seem to clog faster than if the outside was being used as the filter.
I think I'm over-thinking this topic, :rolleyes: Thanks all!
Brett 馃殌馃殌馃殌

Registered
Sounds like there are good points made for either direction. I guess I could say - If I do not plan on cleaning the filter, it would be acceptable to insert it with the input of flow entering the inside? Then there is the fact that there is more "Surface Area" around the outside, so it would take longer to fill the surface with debris. But....Then there is more "Area" on the inside, but it would seem to clog faster than if the outside was being used as the filter.
I think I'm over-thinking this topic, :rolleyes: Thanks all!
Brett 馃殌馃殌馃殌
See post #6.

Premium Member
I see that's how oil filters work too. It's interesting that Rochester filters entry is to the inside of the element.

Post #4

Registered
Could be Rochester needs the pressure drop from being inlettted to the inside of the filter to keep from over filling the float bowl, Lots of calculations they use to determine a proper fuel system and its components needed to run an engine properly without flooding or starving an engine. Mechanical fuel systems are a bunch of engineering trade-offs to get what they need for all weather (most altitudes), and all rpm operations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts