Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 RS/SS 350 that I've had since new and am going to install AC in it now. It looks like the original AC cars may have had a 23" wide radiator and the non-AC (like mine) had a 21" wide radiator (measuring radiator area between side tanks) . Did the panel that holds the radiator have a bigger opening in the AC cars? My opening is 21" wide, so I assume I'd need to change that body panel that holds the radiator to a different one for the bigger rad? Thanks

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
The wider radiator was used on the BBC. If you look you will see that the opening is only on one side not centered. With a copper and brass OEM radiator they added a row of tubes for A/C. So a base SBC or six banger got two rows and a high performance SBC or a base SBC with air got three rows of tubes. You could go to four rows of tubes if you had a high horse engine and A/C.

With today's better breathing heads and modern more aggressive cam grinds almost all SBC are high horse (compared to the original engine. So you will probably need a four core brass and copper radiator, or a larger diameter two tube aluminum radiator to cool it.

Big Dave

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
The radiator supports in your question are the same for all radiators. Those who have been restoring cars for decades would know this. Only the radiators are different. Better info at CRG: CRG Research Report - 1967-69 Cooling Systems Larger Dave must have ignored your question about radiator supports.

·
19,786 Posts
One place not to short yourself....bigger is better.

As above, I would go thicker Vs. bigger. 21" 4-row get my vote 🍻

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
OP

also there was a different fan shroud for the 23" specific to SB. There is a different shroud for 23" BB

I have a SB (327) that was a AC car with a 23" radiator, 5 blade fan with clutch

OER makes the shroud. I got mine from Summit

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses, all good responses. There's a lot of info on the CRG sites, I'll read through those carefully this morning. I'll have to check my existing rad again too, I know how wide it is, but didn't check the thickness although I think it's fairly thin. I'll look up my original order info as well, can't remember if I ordered the HD rad when I ordered the car. If it isn't the HD rad, I'll be changing that when I do the air. I have the Vintage Air kit now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts