Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My brother just moved back to Conn and is restoring a 1967 XL Galaxy Convertible 500. This has been a 8 year restoration between 3 shops this is the 3rd. He has moved 2 times thats why. Well he was hoping it was the last shop to complete the job. I was wondering your input on prices and if there in the ball park. The first list was given to him and this would complete pretty much of what needed to get done. The body is painted and on the chassis with motor and tranny.

1) reassemble engine compartment (wiring harness , electronic components, radiators both (assume you mean A/C condenser and engine radiator) , air conditioning recharge . Will also likely need a hose or two, "O" rings on the compressor ports and so forth. Coolant hoses and tune up parts should be changed as well as hoses, all fluids/filters, clamps and misc small items found needed. Approximately 25 hrs + 425.00 Parts & Materials - $2300.00
2) install front end all except fenders and wheel wells . Assume this means bumper, grille, chrome and trim plus align. 10 hrs + 50.00 - 800.00
3) check rear end was rebuilt but there isn't any fluid in it. Assume this means fill and test on lift for noise/operation. 1 hr + 25.00 -100.00
4) put doors back together (doors are painted but guts need to be put back together . 16 hrs + 250.00 for tracks, guides and scrapers - 1450.00
5) brake lines are in but new power booster and master cylinder needs install . Brake hoses? Brakes themselves? Assume all done just finish assemble as described and bleed. 3 hrs + 25.00 - 250.00
6) install all trim . Body side, rear, convertible top well ect., except interior trim. 20 hrs + 200.00 for clips, sealers and misc- 1700.00
7) needs 4 new shocks . 2 hrs + 200.00 - 350.00
8) install exhaust system . assume you have and we replace all clamps and hangers. assume dual system per OEM. 6 hrs + 50.00 - 500.00
9) hood insulation install . .5r + 2.50 - 40.00
Total, all Items Approx - $7490.00

The above total is an approximation and has a "fudge" factor included for the little surprises that crop up in restoration work. We could get the car in for work in early July. The work described will take about 1 month. You did not mention body seals and gaskets, so I assume this is being undertaken by your body guy or yourself. Generally door and other seals are carefully installed before the panels get fitted to the body tub.

Now what happen was he just got this bill and my brothers fliping!! As you can see not much from the original estimate list given to him was even done.

Remove trans pan,
remove broken linage,
setup start engine, warm,
remove ac box from firewall
remove switches, valve,clean and paint ac box.
straighten bent fins and ac evaporator.
Install ac blower box
install transmission cooler lines
remove body mounts, old trans linkageseals,braken parts,send for matchup.
list parts needed/missing,discuss with customer.
remove valve body from transmission.
install new seal for shift linkage.
install new kick down linkage and shift linkage.
reinstall valve body.
remove old gasket from trans pan,repair dent.
install pan with new gasket,
fill rear end,
fill transmission fluid,
install radiator support and radiator.
remove radiator and radiator hoses from parts car. ( I bought new hoses have no idea waht this is about)
hookup oil pressure gauge.
hookup temp fuel tank.
fill radiator.
install old exhaust.
run engine. OK, begin install body mounts,
Job not complete
57.5 hours x 80 = 4,600.00
294 tax
313,00 parts

5207.00 due

What do you think about it?

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The written estimate for $7490 was done by the same shop now balance billing for $5207???
Please explain.

Yes it's from the shop doing the work.
The first bill was the quote to complete the job from when the car was dropped off.

The second bill was what was done so far. I guess it's more stuff than what was on the original estimate. He gave him this bill for the work he completed so far. He saw the car and estimated the first bill with a FUDGE factor. Where did all that fudge come from??? Here's what my brother wrote back
Kent,

Hello..

I just received my first bill that I just cannot see where 57.5 hrs of labor have gone...

My budget that we discussed is now gone and I do not have any more money.

Call me and explain to me what has happened to date to eat up 6200.00 dollars to date in labor.
I have bought many of the parts to date as you know.

I need to know what is left and costs and a detailed list of what that work is..

At this point I believe you know enough about the project to let me know this info..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Bodys painted?? so all the hard works done. All he has to do is all the easy fun stuff.. Id be elated if I got to do that :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bodys painted?? so all the hard works done. All he has to do is all the easy fun stuff.. Id be elated if I got to do that :yes:
Yes body painted and put on the painted frame.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
so hes gonna pay 5-7K for someone else to put the pieces back on it...? Id be doing it myself and buying a supercharger with that moneys = )

·
Registered
50 Posts
I haven't seen ANY 67 Galaxie that was worth $7500 TOTAL. I'm with the other posters, this is the work the owner should be performing himself. If for some reason he can't, then he must pay whatever he is charged. Some people are not meant to be in the old car hobby.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't seen ANY 67 Galaxie that was worth $7500 TOTAL. I'm with the other posters, this is the work the owner should be performing himself. If for some reason he can't, then he must pay whatever he is charged. Some people are not meant to be in the old car hobby.
If he had the room he would have done it himself. Your telling me a frame off restoration is only worth $7500 TOTAL..? Come on........Why does it matter what it's worth anyway? My original question was about the work performed so far. I think the bill he gave him is off. Forget about the first estimate. I'm just looking at the bill and is it worth what he charged?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
It sounds to me like the car needs more work than estimated but most of what he listed as done could easily be listed as " service trans". Call a transmission repair shop and get a price to remove, rebuild and reinstall a trans. It should be alot less than you were charged and it would be rebuilt. If I were your brother I would look for some Galaxie forums and find a forum member that could do the work.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
It sounds to me like the car needs more work than estimated but most of what he listed as done could easily be listed as " service trans". Call a transmission repair shop and get a price to remove, rebuild and reinstall a trans. It should be alot less than you were charged and it would be rebuilt. If I were your brother I would look for some Galaxie forums and find a forum member that could do the work.
Charley gives sound advice.. I am sure a forum member on a Ford/Galaxie board could do that work for much cheaper.. ..speaking of forum members doing work.. Charley, El Mule needs an oil change, I'll be by to pick it up later today :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
need transmission rebuilt i can handle that in any car. i rebuild transmissions for a living. e mail and ill give you a price on it im in new jersey not to far from long island

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Looks like he is doing a restoration on a time and materials basis. This is the most expensive way to do it and is usually reserved for high dollar cars because it quickly adds up to alot of money. On the positive side, it can get done quick because the shop gets paid for every second they are doing something for your car and they have a crew that needs to get paid every week.
I would not think this is the best way to finish an 8 year restoration on a car that has a NADA high value of $26K, but maybe he has his own reasons for doing it this way. I would try and get fixed price quotes for specific jobs and pay when the each job is completed.

·
Registered
601 Posts
:mad: hmmm 6 hours labor to install old exhaust system with new clamps :noway: for that much you could of brung car to a meineke and got dual exhaust for 400 bux installed or less. took me 1 hour on my camaro with new exhaust. for transmission guess the linkage or kickdown is broken for them to drop valve body. what trans is it a medium case or small case? i may have linkage for you. if the trans is in car take about 2-3 hours to r&r valve body and replace linkage at tops. in my opinion hes being charged for labor for 10 men on car while 1 is on car lol:noway:

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the last email my brother sent me!!

Bro,

Spoke with them yesterday. bottom line is the 8,000 is the cost to get to the original estimate. so it looks like 16,000 total .. He is looking into the cost to hang the fenders and hood.. put door guts together so I can close the car at the least. put on the bumpers.
I am guessing 3,000 for a total of 11,000 this year.. This will still leave the trim to put on interior to put together. He is also going to look for a buyer who may want to finish it, but at this point I think that would just be giving it away as I will need to pay the 11,000 to him after the sale and no one will give me what its worth.. If I dont make a decsion he will start charging me 200.00 a month for storage.. or I can give him the 11,000 and store it myself .I have to make a descion today if I want to see it this summer...What do you think I should do ??
Thanks
Dean

·
Registered
518 Posts
You got friggen ripped. In Cali you have to agree to increases over the written estimate and if you don't agree you are not obligated to pay. Besides jacking the hours way higher than estimated its looking like labor per hour was increased from $75 to $80 as well. Pure bullcrap if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
...your brother needs to get his car back, ...out of that shop.
He's been working on it for 8 years, ...it would seem to me, ...he wants to finish it. Selling it under these circumstances (ie. trying to get out from under the shop who (in my opinion) is way overcharging him) may in the end be something he regrets.
Personally, If I were him, ...The first thing I would do is tell the shop to STOP working on the car. My next step would be to plan on picking the car up and get it back, ...period. The whole situation stinks, ...they're going to say, "...fine, ...but pay us first". This is the dilema he's faced with. Bottom line, ...if that shop does any more work, ...it will only get worse.
As others have stated, ...they are charging way too much for what they are doing.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
LIke just about everyone the consensus is your brother is being ripped with prices for the work, amount of time spent to complete, etc. With due respect to you and for your brother now is the time to be reviewing this with more than just this thread. The camaro.net gang are the best and oh how I wish I knew what so many of them know but none of us can professionally assist your brother. IMO he should review very quickly what he's legally responsible for with some authorities or legal counsel, i.e. bill comes in with nothing apparently completed for what the car was dropped off for and no communication or acceptance to a dramatic change in course of action. This can very from state to state or situations can change from possible pressure applied if gouging is apparent. I would think he needs to know this quickly as previous advice advised getting the car out of there which I fully agree with. Wish your brother the best of luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
601 Posts
wellmnm99 e mail me at [email protected] and ill come to long island on weekend to see car and see what need to finish car ill give you price and if you like it ill trailer it back to my shop and finish it for you. those prices are way to much from what i would charge you. ps i got my own trailer so i wont charge you to tow it to new jersey.also im 10 minutes from staten island bridge 20 minutes from verrazano bridge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts