Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '67 with deluxe interior and the lights on the sail panel. I've noticed that those lights don't come on when the doors are opened, but they can be activated by the light switch (turning it all the way one direction to turn on the interior lights). Is this normal, or should they come on when I open the door? Any idea what to check?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
They should come on when the door(s) are opened and the switch at the door jamb is grounded.

Does the rear console light or the lights under the ends of the dash come on with the door(s) being opened?

Could be a simple set of bad door jamb switches or a bad wire connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This car doesn't have a console, or underdash lighting. I'm thinking the deluxe interior may not be original. I'll have to start troubleshooting the door switches and wiring.
Thanks for the info!

·
Super Moderator
32,608 Posts
Your set-up reads like a PO may grounded the sail light white wire locally rather than it back to a door switch. Orange wire is power.
Maybe should be wired in parallel to dome light under headliner, over the drvr window under headliner as org-wht pair goes up the drvr A-pillar?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the problem is in my driver door switch. The lights come on when I open the passenger door.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Switch is just a simple ground and may only need to be cleaned up or to make sure the mount into the door jamb is corrosion free. With the door open wiggle it a little and see what happens....if the lights come on the switch just needs cleaning up. If not when you pull it out check it out again. I know they are not expensive but why buy a new one if you can fix the one you have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts