Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a car that when I first start it up, it fires up just fine. After driving it a while and I turn the engine off, then back on, the starter starts to drag as if the battery has gone down. I placed a voltmeter on the battery and its fully charged at 12.5v. I also have a voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter that tracks the voltage when the car is running. While running the voltage stays between 12.5 and 14 volts.

The starter only drags after the car has been driven for a while and the motor is hot (not overheating or anything, just hot). Is this a sign that its time to replace the starter, or should I start looking at something else.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Check the condition of the battery cables and connections, also have the battery load tested, as it may be only surface charging. You can do a voltage drop test to see if you are losing battery voltage at the starter. Do this on both positive and negative leads. If all chcks out than go after the starter.

Dan E.
69 ss396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe

·
Registered
287 Posts
HEAT.
I had this exact problem on a 68 firebird. First start was always good, then after driving around for a while re-start was not always happening.
Any heat shields missing from your starter?
Did your year have heat shields?
My firebird does have shields, and my camaro does not. The starters are on opposite sides of the engine however and the heat collection may not be a problem on the chevrolets.

Anyone else have a similar issue/resolution?

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Does this car have headers?? or original exhaust manifolds.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Check the starter amp draw.

Few vehicle manufacturers give starter current draw specifications with the starter installed on the vehicle. Use the chart below as a guideline regarding the range of the maximum allowable starter draw.

4-cylinder engines = 150 to 185 amperes maximum
6-cylinder engines = 160 to 200 amperes maximum
8-cylinder engines = 185 to 250 amperes maximum

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Years ago when I was working in a full service auto shop, we used to get this all the time with little old ladies (and little old men too) in their Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs. After replacing many many starters and battery cables, we had the occasion to rebuild the engine on one of the problem cars. We found that the engine had lots of carbon behind the rings that was causing the rings to drag badly when hot. After the ring grooves were cleaned, the starter problem no longer existed. After that, whenever one of the problem Oldsmobile or Pontiacs would come with a starter problem, the first thing we would do is use a product called BLASTER TVF and following the directions, decarbon the engine. That included pouring a can of the product through the carburetor, and also adding a can to the oil. That, along with a new starter usually cured their problem. Not saying for sure that this is your problem, but it was on a lot of those "gently driven" luxury cars back in the 60's.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Could be a heat sink issue. Buy the silver thermal insulation that places like Jegs or Summit sells and wrap the starter. I had a similar issue years ago and that worked. It has velcro and I put a few zip ties around it to secure it. It's a pretty cheap fix.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the reponses guys

The battery tested to be good and all the cables seem to be in good condition. Im gonna pull the starter and have it tested tomorrow and see what happens!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Pull the battery cables are replace them. The cables can corrode under the jacket and this will increase the resistance when hot. Too much resistance and the car won't start no matter how many volts and amps the battery has. While you are at it you should also replace the braided ground straps from motor to chassis.

When I rewired my 68 I added a secondary ground strap from the battery direct to the chassis just to aid in completing the circuit. Good grounds will never hurt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts