Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a "homemade" disc brake swap. C5 calipers with C4 rotors in the front, 93-97 Z/28 discs in the back.

My questions, for now, are on the rears.

I found the rears at a wrecking yard. I got 2 right hand brackets, and two complete right hand calipers, including the e-brake cables. I'm rebuilding the calipers.

1. I've heard the z/28 rears also referred to as "C4" brakes. Are they the same thing? My main question concerns the rotors. If I purchase C4 rotors from e-bay, will I get a rotor that will work with this set-up, or should I get a rotor specifically for the 93-97 Z/28?

2. My calipers came with a hockey puck sized cast iron weight on them. It hangs off of the e-brake bracketry. I think I read in the archives that it's intended to reduce pad squeal. Is it necessary on this swap? If not, I'll just cut off the long stud that attaches the weight.

3. I know I can get cables made by control cable for the e-brake, but I think I can make the cables that came with my calipers work. They are about 3 feet long, so I'll have to cut the housings down to fit and then install new ends in the forward end of the cables. Does anyone know of a way to fasten a new cable end onto a cable that will hold the tension required without slipping off?

Thanks for your replies!

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I installed 1989 Camaro 11.75" dia. rear rotor's on my "pdqCBB" setup using 1980 Cad Seville e-brake calipers and had ebay'd "Doug10" or 100(?), (aka, David Levesque, Steel Tech Solutions Inc., PO Box 1101, Marion IL 62959), to create the needed calipers after I gave him the diamensions..

I highly recommend David here.................

Bttt, I strongly suggest that you get a right and a left caliper so that both are clocked to the rear to make e-brake cable hookup easier... Unless you have staggered shocks and then please mount them however you can to help e-brake cable hookup..

pdq67

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I, as well as Baer, cut off the excess thread on the stud.

I don't know if the rotors are interchangeable. Go on Rockauto.com and see if the C4 rear rotor has the same part number. I paid $18 each for mine from a local parts store and they have held up to track days fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.