Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes 1969 Camaro has, what we were told when we bought it 9 years ago, a 350 "crate" engine.

Has the oil capacity of a stock 350 or a crate 350 ever been anything less than 5 quarts?

The dipstick is reading over 5 (nearly 6 guestimate) of oil, since my last change when I put a new filter and 5 quarts in.

It doesn't appear to be any water, as the oil looks good. Just too much.

BTW, it has been sitting about a week since it was last run (about 20 miles).

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
does it have the stock oil pan on it? usually a stock pan on a 350 with the oil filter is 5tqs total..

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
hmmm. Same thing with me. I'm using the original dip stick and tube. I just changes oil, and the oil mark is at the second L on FULL. I used 5 quarts

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Good question and I don't know.

Would they ever have a pan that is less than 5 quarts?
nope...a 350 motor with a stock pan and the filter is 5qts capacity...unless there is an aftermarket pan on it...

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
The old cans held a quart and the engines had 4 qt pans for a total of 5 qts.

We can still buy qt spin-on filters if one will fit the aluminum/pot-metal adapter? and if it will, big truck parts places sell tall spin-ons that hold like 2 qts. for a total of 7 qts.

pdq67

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. I will try 4 1/2 quarts next time and check it more closely.

I had, from 1978 to 1984 a 69 Cutlass with a 350, but have little recall of the oil filter. The current one does seem shorter though.

Really appreciate the help. :)

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
which oil filter are you running? if you are running the short filter- Delco PF25 (i think) equivalent- then upgrade to the truck PF35 equivalent.
then just run 5 quarts and you should be pretty close.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
which oil filter are you running? if you are running the short filter- Delco PF25 (i think) equivalent- then upgrade to the truck PF35 equivalent.
then just run 5 quarts and you should be pretty close.
Yes (cept it is a purolator equivalent), and interesting, thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts