Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the rear most 20 inches of my rear frame rails. Should I press in bushings before welding them in or is it an easy thing to do once in place? Also is there a difference in the terminology (name) of the frame bushing versus the leaf spring bushing? I think I'll be replacing the springs and shackles as well so if I order anything online I want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Same thing-leaf spring, frame bushings. Most all leaf springs will come with bushings. Some with just the front bushings. I think you could get away with installing before welding on the frame stub. Just don't get the rubber hot. You may have to weld n wait but it would be worth it for an easier install unless your gas tank is out.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gas tank is out. Entire trunk floor and end of the rail is off. I'm concerned about getting the rail welded exactly where it needs to be and what effect that might have on the spring placement. I think I'll install the frame rail bushings and put the old mono leaf back on to be sure it all fits. Right now everything is just clamped together

·
Super Moderator
32,359 Posts
There is room installing bushings with everything in place.
Coat bushings with silicone grease preventing squeaking and lubing, aids install also, although you don't need it.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any idea if the angle of the frame rail eye is crucial? I'm using reproduction rail ends which are 10 inches long and they come with the eye welded in. Then I welded up another 12 inches of the portion of the rail that curves. When I attach that end to the tail panel it is about 1 1/2 inches farther to the outside than where the cut off frame is pointing. It appears the originals have a slight dog leg to the outside but the eye is parallel with the tail panel. I didn't make mine with that dog leg. I can get it all to clamped up OK but it appears the eye is slightly angled in. I think the shackles will compensate. I'm getting new bushings tomorrow and will hook up the old shackles to see how it fits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts