Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

The Camaro (1969) I just bought has a fuel cell in it. I am going to make this car more of a street car. Are there any aftermarket gauges I can buy to show how much gas in left in the cell? Or should I just get rid of the fuel cell, install a gas tank and be done with it? I hate driving a car without knowing how much gas I have left.

P.S. I would also have to replace the trunk pan since they cut a hole in it for a fuel cell. The least expensive way would be to find an aftermarket gas gauge for the fuel cell but I don't recall seeing one of these when I had my first 1969 Camaro several years ago.

All comments are welcome!!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Check to see if the fuel cell has a foam insert to reduce sloshing. If it does get a sending unit that has the float inside an aluminum tube. I'm having a brain fart but there are these styles out there for different depth tanks. Don't worry if it does have foam and to install it you cut a mounting hole in the top of the tank and then use a long stright thin knife and throught the hole cut away a plug in the foam and remove that section of it. A problem you may run into is how thick the fuel cell is to attach the sending unit to. The one I installed had a backup ring that must be positioned under the hole cutout and on this fuel cell it had the big filler opening on it and I was able to reach inside the tank to position it and then run the screws in tight.
As far as what ohm model you need if the factory gauge is present then get a 0-90 ohm sender and you may want to verify the gauge does work.
There are also other companies out here (classis instruments http://www.classicinstruments.com/index.aspx?documentID=fuellevelsender ) that sell a swing arm style sending unit but these are designed for tanks with baffles and if your cell does not have the foam insert it may swing the gauge high and low while driving and the only acurate reading would be after the car sits stil a while and the fuel levels out in the tank.
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SOA!!

I forgot to mention that it has the thick black foam insert inside. I saw it yesterday evening when I put gas in it. I looks like a sponge type screen. It is a plastic cell and I think the seller told me it is a 16 gallon cell. He also cut a separate hole in the trunk to vent it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts