Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB TKX 5 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. QA1 Coil O
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching for some info on installing the McLeod hydraulic master cylinder and clutch pedal. I have a question that maybe you can answer.
Does anyone know if you have to use the steel bracket that attaches behind the brake master cylinder? (In my case I have a hydroboost). Couldn't I just bolt the clutch master to the firewall hole from mechanical linkage rods, and use the 2 holes from the rod boot cover, and mount the reservoir somewhere above with sheetmetal screws?

· Registered
1,626 Posts
I was searching for some info on installing the McLeod hydraulic master cylinder and clutch pedal. I have a question that maybe you can answer.
Does anyone know if you have to use the steel bracket that attaches behind the brake master cylinder? (In my case I have a hydroboost). Couldn't I just bolt the clutch master to the firewall hole from mechanical linkage rods, and use the 2 holes from the rod boot cover, and mount the reservoir somewhere above with sheetmetal screws?
If the bracket was specifically designed for the car it's better than fabricating your own. If not, do your thing. I have flip the floppy disc to remember how I did mine, but IIRC, I used the clutch pedal hole.

· Premium Member
2,521 Posts
The concern would be having the correct angle for the clutch pushrod relative to the cluster master cylinder.
I think the thin firewall sheet metal will bend after repeated operations of the clutch pedal. Then the pushrod will be out of alignment. You need the 3/16" plate for stiffness.

The pushrod has to be in alignment or else the master cylinder will fail prematurely. I don't have a hydraboost system, but mine is the same as yours but different.

Here is a photo of me trying to get the master cylinder alignment tube at the right angle before welding.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Are you having clearance problems? Here is a post showing a bracket that he had to cut it to to get it to fit. Post #6
Hyd Clutch question

· Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB TKX 5 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. QA1 Coil O
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tp thanks for the pic and link to other post. Now I see whats involved. Im not looking forward to moving the HB /MC out enough to slip the bracket in. Guess I can rig up a 2x4 and support it like a rear engine support bar. Man if I realized whats involved in the conversion plus the almost $1k I would have stuck with mechanical. Ah but its only time lol.

· Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Maybe I am missing something. Is this the way the bracket is supposed to go? I wouldnt think there would be room under the dash to mount the bracket. Although if it did go there it would be less cumbersome to install. Also some say they straightened the bracket because the bent one wouldnt work. I continue to be lost on this issue sometimes. Appreciate all the feedback. Great to be on this forum.

· Premium Member
2,521 Posts
If it was easy, it would not be any fun. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

Well sir, I had to do a little modification to the firewall. The new clutch rod was in a different location, and I had to cut the firewall.

The black circle is the part I had to cut. 
Sleeve Gas Glove Outdoor shoe Auto part

I cut a little of extra metal I am no longer using.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle door Finger

I welded in a patch.

The Mr. Just One More also had to cut the firewall. It is shown in the link I provided you in the previous post.

I think it was worth the trouble.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Rim

I hope your firewall doesn't need to be modified.

· Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, I dont mind having to alter things, as thats what makes things fun, glad I am retired otherwise my patience level would be diminished. But truth be told the biggest pita with this car is working under the dash or around the BB, just no fricken room. Common sockets I have to use are 1/4" drive, 3/8 or 1/2" to final torque.

· Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Maybe I am missing something. Is this the way the bracket is supposed to go? I wouldnt think there would be room under the dash to mount the bracket. Although if it did go there it would be less cumbersome to install. Also some say they straightened the bracket because the bent one wouldnt work. I continue to be lost on this issue sometimes. Appreciate all the feedback. Great to be on this forum.
Here is a photo of a McLeod system for a 1967-69 Camaro. The red metal is the firewall. The bracket mounts on the motor side of the firewall. I assume this is what you purchased.

Bicycle part Sleeve Automotive exterior Camera accessory Auto part

I heated and straightened my bracket to hug the firewall. That is why mine is different.

· Premium Member
67 SS/RS
193 Posts
@StevieBB54 Jody told me it is a tight fit with hydroboost, but there is a way to work around it. Looking at the pictures above... sure looks like it is a whole lot easier if the engine (and steering column) is pulled. Good luck and post some pics of your install please. I am anxious to start my install.

@tp_smith nice work, that looks fantastic. Do you think that would fit with the large booster? Angle of the picture makes it difficult to judge clearance.

· Premium Member
2,521 Posts
@StevieBB54 Jody told me it is a tight fit with hydroboost, but there is a way to work around it. Looking at the pictures above... sure looks like it is a whole lot easier if the engine (and steering column) is pulled. Good luck and post some pics of your install please. I am anxious to start my install.

@tp_smith nice work, that looks fantastic. Do you think that would fit with the large booster? Angle of the picture makes it difficult to judge clearance.

I used a nine inch dual diaphragm vacuum booster. I don't think an eleven inch will fit.
I had to really think about how to place the clutch master cylinder so that it would clear the 9 inch booster.

Gas Bicycle part Auto part Machine Engineering

Automotive tire Gas Nickel Automotive wheel system Auto part

Grey Sleeve Bicycle part Tool Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive wheel system

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Gas Auto part Machine Cylinder Engineering

1 - 16 of 16 Posts