Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you folks - '68 Convertible here. I had a stock 327, 2bbl convertible with about 210 hp; Powerglide transmission and stock 3.08 rear end. I put in a 400hp Blueprint engine with a 4L60e transmission and 3.55 posi gears in the rear end.

I also changed out the single leaf springs and shocks for multi-leaf springs from Detroit Eaton Spring to provide additional stability.

Would you recommend anything else to stabilize the rear end? Stabilizer bar? I've already put a larger anti-sway bar on the front end.

Just a street rod and not a race car. However, as most guys want, I do want the ability to lay down rubber if desired...馃榿

Thanks for any/all perspectives.
Al

Registered
If you have not done sub-frame connectors, I would/did

also if your diff is not a "posi" (Eaton)....I would put one in given your new HP.....and laying 2 stripes is way better than one :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
If you have not done sub-frame connectors, I would/did

also if your diff is not a "posi" (Eaton)....I would put one in given your new HP.....and laying 2 stripes is way better than one :cool:
Thanks on the sub frame connectors. Any recommended brands? Also - yes it is a posi rear-end. Agree 2 stripes is way better than one!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I used Hotchkis subframe connectors. They tuck up nicely to the floor.
Thanks. Assume they have them for convertibles too?

Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
Stabilize can mean more than on thing. Do you mean you want it to hook good for off the line acceleration or are you wanting it to turn corners better? Realistically, at the 400 hp level, you're probably pretty good where you are. A rear sway bar is not really needed with these cars until you are make big power and really pushing it hard in the corners. What spring rate did you go with for the new leafs? I think Eaton offers a few different rates and I would probably go with the stiffest, the 175lb springs. But, I have 500lb coilovers in the front. Realistically, I'd want closer to 200lb based on what I have learned at pozziracing.com. David Pozzi is an expert in Gen1 suspension and he posts here as well.

As mentioned, the subframe connectors help with flex, which is an even bigger issue with a convertible. Also, you can put solid body mounts in to replace the rubber bushings. If you still have the rubber ones from the factory, they are almost certainly trashed. I used the solid mounts from Global West.

Reactions: Troutslayer

Registered
As others have said with convertibles, sub frame connectors are a must. I installed DSE weld in connectors and love them, the best $200 spent for making the car solid. Also used their solid body mounts. These two things made the car flex free and handle so much better. I'm with Bruce1968, read Pozzi's info on first gen suspension and use the info, you will not be sorry.

Premium Member
I agree with all above. I do not have a vert and many say rear sway bars are not needed but I did it anyway. Along with front sway, sub-frame connectors and solid bushings, tubular arms. You know how that goes. Runs on rails. Wheels and tires in future.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. One of the first things I did when I purchased the car 6 years ago, was to replace the body mounts to the polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension. Then I rebuilt the front end.

Not sure what rate my leaf springs are. I just spoke to the guys at Eaton Detroit and did what they recommended.

I've also seen some of Dave Pozzi's stuff and will go back there for a refresher. Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about him.

Many thanks,
Al

Retired
It's a convertible, get the Hotchkis frame brace used for installing the rear sway bar. I have installed Hotchkis sub frame connectors, X-brace and rear sway with the frame brace and by far tying the uni-body frame rails together with the frame brace was the most improvement to the car...

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Reactions: DjD

Registered
Discussion Starter #13

Registered
You have to drill into the frame rails and then feed the square bend U bolts into and back through the holes so you can bolt up the end plates of the brace. Check out the install instructions...

Thanks for turning us on to that. I don't plan on a rear swaybar since my car is already near the verge of oversteer, but that brace looks like a great piece to stiffen the rear structure.

Registered
IMHO, you will "feel" a less flex car with sub frame connectors vs anything else....with that said doing SFC and the Hotchkis, or similar, SB brace is even more of a slot car feel...if that is your driving use

I have a coupe and went with Summit brand bolt in SFC, work fnie for me, Just conform whatever brand you get is good foe verts.

With that said if jumping that deep into the suspension mod pool, stick with one brand throughout vs mix/match....there is some "design" considerations between brands. Pick one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
IMHO, you will "feel" a less flex car with sub frame connectors vs anything else....with that said doing SFC and the Hotchkis, or similar, SB brace is even more of a slot car feel...if that is your driving use

I have a coupe and went with Summit brand bolt in SFC, work fnie for me, Just conform whatever brand you get is good foe verts.

With that said if jumping that deep into the suspension mod pool, stick with one brand throughout vs mix/match....there is some "design" considerations between brands. Pick one.
Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts